SRT Q & A's Thread

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one revolver, one Skylotec (with the different gate) and one regular biner.

I bought the Skylotec out of curiosity and find the gate really easy. However, I would prefer all Revolvers as I think the pressure exerted on the rope as it moves would be less than with a regular Biner.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Just remember, you are talking about a system where the rope is static. The use of a Revolver carabiner is not always the best choice. It is often preferable to make a non moving connection at the redirect point to better utilize the tree's structural strengths.

Dave

Just remember, you are talking about a system where the rope is static. The use of a Revolver carabiner is not always the best choice. It is often preferable to make a non moving connection at the redirect point to better utilize the tree's structural strengths.

Dave

Different uses for different circumstances i guess , the revolver would take a bit of wear off the rope and crab because the ropes are not 100percent static so there is always going to be a slight amount of stretch depending on how you set up your system , base tying natural limb movement etc.

maybe using normal crabs would take a bit of stretch away ? and focus more of the weight on the redirect point is this what you mean dmc just trying to picture both points of view

I haven't used srwp but if find it all quite fascinating

... and focus more of the weight on the redirect point is this what you mean dmc ...

http://vtio.org.au/Content/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Working-the-Angles-i.pdf

Yes, but there is more to it. If you look at the graphics depicting force multipliers, in the link above, you can understand how having pulleys or low friction support at redirect points will be influenced by force multipliers. Just like a base tie can add more force to the suspension point. When working the outer canopy these forces get even more complex because the load will cause a lateral movement in this flexible area of the tree. Branches are at their weakest when pulled sideways.

When you lock off your climbing line at a redirect point you remove the other leg as a force multiplier. But it gets better still. If you get your angles right the other leg, especially if it is also choked off, will add support that will minimize lateral flex and load that point in compression, giving you its maximum support potential.

Dave