charcoal burning

hedgesparrow

I make my charcoal in the livingroom. One metal sweetie tin (Quality Street etc)

filled with wood and half a dozen screwdriver holes in the top.

Cook in the woodburner and remove. Put damp cloth over the holes. Takes about 30 mins to cook up

You don't need the screwdriver holes just invert the can in the ash, the offgas exits through the lid sides,

Definitely not for commercial use!!!!!

Why not it's essentially what the small scale commercial retorts do

Trouble is temperature control, or lack of, means the cans don't survive long.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im going to suggest all those who want to promote british charcoal get your heads together get all the facts and figures sorted and I will push it on two other very widely and publicly view woodland sites.

we really should be producing more charcoal in the u.k, and something I myself would be happy to do get involved with and promote for the benifit of english woodlands and forestry

I run a charcoal forge and do a daily burn for the following day's work. 45s with lids and a two inch hole at the bottom. I use the "brown ends" from the previous burn in the bottom off the next barrel then stack to top with logs of similar size. Stick a blow torch it the vent hole at the bottom to light it. Burn for about two hours with the lid off and vent open, then block the vent with earth and put the lid on three quarters. Leave it like that for another three to four hours until there's about a third full of glowing chunks. Put the lid on and forget about until the next day. One barrel's burn runs the forge for about three hours. I like the gas forge......:thumbup1:

Edit to add....if you do start making it, don't store it near stuff that will burn, like you home or workshop!

Edited by Cracker

Cheers Catweazel.

Yes tins dont last well but a do enjoy watching that wee blue flame going down to nothing. Always had a good batch every time.

Something satisfying cooking your venison steak on the BBQ with your own charcoal.

If my good lady doesn't object I'll try some in the local shop but as said before everyone wants Asda Price!!!

You get lots of white vapour/gasses coming out the holes.

As the burn gets hotter the gasses ignite. The flames settle from roaring yellow to steady blue.

Once the blue flame drops off take out and cover holes with damp cloth.

Just need to keep the temp up.

Worth a go.

After checking local market - if you're going with 45gal. drums, one will give you an idea of quantity produced to amount of man-hours to produce. Sizeable but not too big holes in base or a number of slits cut with grinder should do. Open the top, also with grinder but don't remove top or rim. The top hole needs to be big enough to reach into, while still giving support for a cover, (a top-handled metal dustbin lid is good.

Make the pieces approx. 12.5-20cm long and 50-75mm thick. Any bigger and you'll be getting some wood and some charcoal. Splitting the wood will give a great surface area to help remove all moisture.

Place drum on three or four brick, on level area, allowing for even passage of air. Backfill earth around base of drum to maybe 15cm in height; allow around three points of initial air feed and close up to one small air inlet when kiln is going. If the area has been levelled out of a slope. Have the final air inlet on the downhill side, so if it rains and there water running down the slope, there won't be unduly moistened air entering the drum/kiln. Remember to seal top around cover with soil. You can compact this and as the soil dries, it will loosen, allowing passage for vapours.

There's lots more to do but one of the main things after, (or maybe before) the burn starts, is making sure you have plenty of time to spare. In daylight, you prepare more wood for the next burn, read, etc. in bad light, it's down to singing songs,reciting poetry or listening to music and watching the wildlife.

If you're using drums and are going to have a burn going in more than one at a time. Remember to give yourself working room between drum walls. So in one drum is finished before its neighbour, you're not burning your knuckle while emptying it. Get a comfy but weatherproof chair and or a tarp for shelter. If you've not got one already, get yourself a head torch. If you get cold, the drum/kiln walls are nice and hot but keeping your feet warm can be problematic.

Be tidy, keep things in the same place and get yourself a large waterproof container for fire starting materials.

Sent by Arbtalk Mobile App

I know someone in the North West (a very well known person in the coppice &c trade) who had a contract to supply B&Q with charcoal, no reason why that can't be replicated near you.

Village post offices/garages/general stores will usually stock it too.

My kiln, about 20 minutes after lighting:

Kiln13.jpg

You just need to educate them of the benefits of British charcoal compared to the imported crap. I sell it on my stalls, start small first.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

When I first met my Mrs, she invited me over for a bbq so I said I would supply the charcoal as made my own, this was greeted with some disbelief as to quality , until I went, her half barrel bbq was so hot I had to go find some welding gloves out the van so I could turn the steaks :001_cool::laugh1: