The Art of Zig Zag

silky fox

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way I can see round it is to not use it Srt mate.

Having had a good read through both Petzl's technical documents, they do keep reinforcing the DDRT only thing.

The only instance they show as suitable for SRT is when chogging down with a running bowline [although the supplementary shows a biner, which I don't like the look of] & single line for descent and as Kevin pointed out under the Treetools photo, backed up with a munter hitch beneath to add some more friction.

Although it does look nice, and may be lovely to use, it's not for me.

Just to clear up the Zigzag srt access thing. It's in the zigzag experience document on the petzl website. You don't use the zigzag as a backup on the single line. It's in DdRT configuration as an attachment to the ascender on a SEPARATE single rope.

Also, with using the zigzag choked on a stem with a munter. The munter is underneath the zigzag, meaning it takes the primary load, with control being enforced through the munter, not the zigzag. Loading is very different this way to using it SRT with the RW, regardless of tether placement and attachment.

Climb safe fellas!

http://www.petzl.com/files/all/technical-notice/Pro/D22-ZIGZAG.pdf

http://www.petzl.com/files/all/product-experience/PRO/PE_D22-ZIGZAG-EN.pdf

Although jolly clever, I don't really like the idea of using a hand ascender as a false crotch as my main anchor point, especially a toothed petzl one.

Can't help thinking they must have been nailing the vin rouge when they came up with that one......

Although jolly clever, I don't really like the idea of using a hand ascender as a false crotch as my main anchor point, especially a toothed petzl one.

Can't help thinking they must have been nailing the vin rouge when they came up with that one......

It's mainly for access also they should be showing the ascendors backed up with a prussik? Do not know as I can't open the files right now.

For what it's worth i think the zz is nice better than my hitchclimber? Not really its just different.

It's mainly for access also they should be showing the ascendors backed up with a prussik? Do not know as I can't open the files right now.

For what it's worth i think the zz is nice better than my hitchclimber? Not really its just different.

Yeah, I saw that, looks very complex, even more fiddly than my modified rope rocket! :biggrin:

Does anybody know when the zig zags are supposed to be back in stock at northern arb suppliers getting really impatient lol thanks guys

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

3-4 weeks according to Richard, I'm patiently waiting for them to send me my one too!

3-4 weeks according to Richard, I'm patiently waiting for them to send me my one too!

Awsome mate i rang them this morning as soon as i woke up probably not the best idea seeing as im quite grouchy in the mornings hope i wasnt that bad to him on the phone :screwy::what:

Mine rubs like in the pic climbing DRT in the way petzl intends it and after a few climbs there is already some signs of wear, maybe because unlike joe loggs I'm over the optimal climbing weight?

Optimal climbing weight??? What weight to the say is the limit?? :confused1:

Just to clear up the Zigzag srt access thing. It's in the zigzag experience document on the petzl website. You don't use the zigzag as a backup on the single line. It's in DdRT configuration as an attachment to the ascender on a SEPARATE single rope.

Also, with using the zigzag choked on a stem with a munter. The munter is underneath the zigzag, meaning it takes the primary load, with control being enforced through the munter, not the zigzag. Loading is very different this way to using it SRT with the RW, regardless of tether placement and attachment.

Climb safe fellas!

http://www.petzl.com/files/all/technical-notice/Pro/D22-ZIGZAG.pdf

http://www.petzl.com/files/all/product-experience/PRO/PE_D22-ZIGZAG-EN.pdf

Not sure i agree with that. If your hand is not on the minter. The zig zag will take the load. Just like the wrench, your weight will transfer back and forth. But if you were to fall without your brake hand below the device, you will shock load the zig zag.