Job from hell !

Buzz

looking down from about 115ft...see that big pine in the distance, without exaggerating it's a very big tree, huge in fact, stand at the base of it and then look at this photo and you can appreciate how high 100ft+ actually is.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Newannaive/work/DSC00265.jpg

biggest domestic conifers we have touched have been circa 70ft, never seen one any bigger in a private garden.

either way, whatever the height the drag to the chipper looks the biggest part of the job....keeping up with the climber must have been a mighty task.. :001_smile: ..is that your lady getting down to it Matt..?..she rocks!:001_smile:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buzz, my suggestion that the trees were not 100 feet does not also imply that the achievement of your team is in anyway diluted, far from it….but you wouldn’t be the first person to overestimate or even exaggerate the height of a tree on an internet forum either. That said, having just read through some of your posts you do come across as a down to earth fella, so I don’t believe for a second its case of the latter. However, I do believe like many others you underestimate how tall 100 ft actually is! Now don’t go off on one about having 15 years behind you etc, that’s not the point….people’s perceptions of how things appear (scale and dimension) just interest me personally, that’s all. It’s not meant as a put-down so just be cool.

Here are 3 pictures of trees that I know were around the 100 ft mark as we were able to measure them by the rigging lines. Through my eyes all 3 appear at least 20 ft taller trees than those conifers. What do you think?

Not that it matters at all now, whatever the height, we’ll never know exactly.

That did look a tough job to haul out all of that volume and stay within your budget….although I think the title ‘job from hell’ would better describe the horrific task facing both the paid and volunteer fire-fighters’ down in Victoria right now. Kinda puts our so-called hellish tree-jobs in perspective!

Nice post Reg, some good points.

Quick quiz- Only one of these trees is over 100 ft which one do you think it is?

Tulips.JPG.35db0a88a23f1272945e960ddc405633.JPG

2008_0417gartmore0005.jpg.2f5ac7984edfbc8a1f38cd07b94b1b94.jpg

lime.jpg.25a85d3856b11dabc03a0d5511bae674.jpg

euc2.jpg.05fc530fc708182438b577fd699aca97.jpg

Oh FFS have people got nothing better to do than question me ! The trees were not in an urban back garden they were in part of a large estate which was planted with Wellies, Thuja and Lawson a very long time ago. Sections of the estate were sold off for building houses and the rest is a golf course.

he only other tress approaching this height i've dealt with were some Limes in Farnham Park in Surrey.

Right I have just watched the whole vid. and before this thread turns into a "my dicks bigger then you" contest.

I think most people are missing the main point that Buzz and his crew took down two fookin big trees with sh!t access and should be given a bit more credit for a job well done.

Who actually gives a toss if the trees were 100'.

At least Reg backed his comments up and did'nt just open his can of whoppassflamery.