Does anyone climb ddrt on 11m rope?

Joe Newton

• 2 weeks later...

11mm for me. the weight and handling is great.

For me the grip is in the knuckles of the fist. I need to curl the fingers with rope fit in snuggly and not grip in the palm.

I climb bare handed/gloveless and find the cramps or hand fatique not much different than 13mm.

Cheets

I've always climbed on 13mm line and really Like it easy to grip a big weighty so easy to footlock and works well on prussic as standard and also using a hitch climber, I climbed on a knut which would self tend after about 3m and that was using Marlow gecko climbing line and Marlow boa cord ( as cheap as it all gets)

Try before you buy when it comes to thinner rope get on a rec climb and have a go on much as possible, I did and couldn't get in with any I tried just felt too small even though it was a matter of mm lol.

Goodluck bud

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Hi joe,

I climb on velocity 11mm and have done for a while its a fantastic rope for mechanical devices bet when it comes

To hitches it doesn't make much difference than having a thicker rope other than being a pain to grip in the wet! A ideal rope for the best of both would be tachyon 11.5 or poison ivy 11.7which is a fantastic rope on a hitch with lots of flex, but also ok if you plan to switch to mechanical.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Cheers guys. Got me some velocity in the end. Its lovely, and so far it hasn't been that much of a pain to grip.

Can't very well try before I buy since the nearest retailer is well over an hour away.

I don't do very much foot locking, but its something I'd like to improve upon.

Hi Joe,

I use Mammut 11mm and 8mm combo and love it, nice and light but still class 1 rated at 2800 kilos. Used it as a fire service rope rescue all rounder and can't fault it. Confidence inspiring and totally trustworthy but obviously we're all different in our likes/dislikes. Give it a go mate, all the best,

Jamie :thumbup1:

Is the Mammut line constructed to deal with the heat & abrasion an arb line is subject too?

If it's a static kernmantle then it might be good for static line srt work, but not for dDrt

Been climbing on samson arbormaster 13mm but planning on ordering 30m of samson velocity 'hot' and 50m of donaghys cougar blue so will be interesting to see how i get on with the thinner ropes.

I had a bit of a play on velocity and seemed to be able to grip it fine and the light weight was a big plus and footlocking on is great so cant wait to have a proper climb when i get it.Any recommended prussic cord for velocity?thinking 8mm armorpruss

cheers

Mike

Is the Mammut line constructed to deal with the heat & abrasion an arb line is subject too?

If it's a static kernmantle then it might be good for static line srt work, but not for dDrt

Hi Pete,

Yeah it's class A rated for any use - industrial, rescue, arb etc. Arb work is much kinder to all ropes than industrial IMO, I've worked in all 3 sectors and experienced rope wear/damage etc.

The weight is a major advantage too. Also |I tend to let my rope grabs/VT's etc grip the rope so the hand wear isn't a problem either, cheers,

Jamie :thumbup1: