Winged cork on tree bark

Paul Barton

Interesting thread. I am still curious about whyt advantage there is tot eh tree (or indeed to the individual stem of these corky wings. The suggestion of protection against animals seems sound, Field Maples have very sugary sap and the closely related Sycamore is often ravaged by squirrels taking the thin bark off entirely on younger stems. If the cork is not just thick but is unpleasant tasting for squirrels that would be a very good defence.

The other odd characteristic of Field Maples is that they can feel warmish tot eh touch on a cold day. Even in winter, it seems there is a lot of metaboilic activity. Do they keep the heating on, as it were, all winter to avoid frost damage? And if so the insulating characteristics of cork could be very useful. On the other hand, the additional surface area, for little change in cross sectrional area, surely has the net effect of cooling fins in reducing stem temperature.

And the crevices on the stem must be a haven for overwintering insects, not a good thing for any tree. Whatever advantage to the plant, it must outweigh the disadvantages or did so when and wherever the species evolved.

Anybody come up with a reliable reason for the corking?

• 8 years later...

On 09/02/2013 at 08:52, daltontrees said:

Interesting thread. I am still curious about whyt advantage there is tot eh tree (or indeed to the individual stem of these corky wings. The suggestion of protection against animals seems sound, Field Maples have very sugary sap and the closely related Sycamore is often ravaged by squirrels taking the thin bark off entirely on younger stems. If the cork is not just thick but is unpleasant tasting for squirrels that would be a very good defence.

The other odd characteristic of Field Maples is that they can feel warmish tot eh touch on a cold day. Even in winter, it seems there is a lot of metaboilic activity. Do they keep the heating on, as it were, all winter to avoid frost damage? And if so the insulating characteristics of cork could be very useful. On the other hand, the additional surface area, for little change in cross sectrional area, surely has the net effect of cooling fins in reducing stem temperature.

And the crevices on the stem must be a haven for overwintering insects, not a good thing for any tree. Whatever advantage to the plant, it must outweigh the disadvantages or did so when and wherever the species evolved.

Anybody come up with a reliable reason for the corking?

Something of a hobby horse (more of a toy pony really) of mine is our (humans) insistence on thinking that everything in nature has a reason or purpose, sometimes things evolve and happen that neither give an advantage to a given plant/animal or disadvantage them.

They just happen.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Something of a hobby horse (more of a toy pony really) of mine is our (humans) insistence on thinking that everything in nature has a reason or purpose, sometimes things evolve and happen that neither give an advantage to a given plant/animal or disadvantage them.

They just happen.

Yes they just happen but if there is a "cost" to the living thing in growing the appendage then then others without that mutation will out compete them. As we see this in generations of elm there is likely an advantage but what it is I haven't a clue.

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Yes they just happen but if there is a "cost" to the living thing in growing the appendage then then others without that mutation will out compete them. As we see this in generations of elm there is likely an advantage but what it is I haven't a clue.

That’s a kind of Ultra Orthodox Darwinism I’m referring to.

Maybe the cost isn’t significant enough to affect its success.

Like port wine birthmarks, ginger hair or being Welsh, we can explain why it happened scientifically, yet they serve no evolutionary purpose, but do not hinder either.

They just came about and that’s it.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Darwin himself couldn't have put it better.