Any arbtalking veg growers in da house?

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Just have garlic in the ground at the moment (still eating last years crop). Used to grow loads of stuff, had a polytunnel full of tomatoes, peppers etc. But as i've got busier with woodland work etc. its gradually been neglected and i'm just growing staples like onions,garlic, carrots&potatoes. Want to get back into it again though..

Ive never tried but will this year baked garlic cloves, ive heard there is a larger milder variety that suits this cooking method very well.:thumbup1:

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strimmed the neglected lawn to stubs yesterday ready for the big dig, double dig back breaking but will go over to minimal digging after the initial layout and soil prepping.

I really would urge you: save your back and save the soil! Look up Charles Dowding and no-dig gardening. Plenty mulch, plenty cardboard and let the worms do what they love doing anyway.

I did consider the ex batteries approach, and did not know bantams where low yield, so thanks, always fancied the breed was the thing I guess

Well the bantams are puuurrrrttty to look at. :lol:

Leghorns are pretty good layers. But the battery hens are a cross breed, and were bred to lay, lay, lay.

So you just need to decide if you want them to be good looking or good layers. Or get 1 of each if you only want to have two. The chucks like to be with friends but they don't have to come from the same tribe. And you don't need a cockerel either, unless you like your egss fertilised. :laugh1:

Hens will lay just fine without the attention of a cockerel. You'll only need a cock if you want to breed your hens. They also tend to to bully hens just to remind them that there is a pecking order!

I really would urge you: save your back and save the soil! Look up Charles Dowding and no-dig gardening. Plenty mulch, plenty cardboard and let the worms do what they love doing anyway.

Or hire a rotavator for the day. Do the job in a fraction of the time, not only is it back breaking, double digging a fair sized plot takes a quite a bit of time as well as effort.

Must admit, did look at the Charles Dowding link earlier today and like the idea of it. Tempted to not bother turning over a couple of my beds and having a go at this method instead.

Well the bantams are puuurrrrttty to look at. :lol:

Hens will lay just fine without the attention of a cockerel. You'll only need a cock if you want to breed your hens. They also tend to to bully hens just to remind them that there is a pecking order!

But apparently if the eggs are fertilized they are lower in cholesterol, whatever that is:001_rolleyes:

Hi Tony

I've been using seed from Real Seeds. They're very knowledgeable and have some very interesting varieties. Cheap, and send lots of info on seed saving too.

I've been no-digging around an acre for sixteen years: I just strew it with compost year on year and cover any fallow bits with carpet. Spade only comes out to lift the big, fat veggies.

Like the thread: look forward to updates.

:thumbup1: