front mounted winch

ballymac

Thinking of getting a winch for the front of my ranger and just wanted to guage opinion. I currently have a tirfor for any winch work which is grand but slow and was wondering if a vehicle mounted one would be a better option. I probably only get the winch out a handful of times a year but I have a job coming up in the next few weeks where I'll need to be pulling some heavy lumps of stuff out of a river so its going to be tough going with the tirfor.

If you have a vehicle mounted winch do you find it useful?

What type should I be considering?

What are the pros and cons?

Thanks

Ballymac

:001_smile:

I have had both, electric are fine as long as you let it cool a bit between pulls. A good pulley will give you enough tug.

My hydraulic one is a beast but it's only suitable for landys.

If you find a good one for the Ranger I'd be interested as I want to put one on mine.

Electric is fine, I doubt you will ever overheat it using it for tree work. I would say the hardest part will be find a suitable winch bumper to hang it on.

Forget hydraulic for what you are doing, electric is so easy and more than capable.

I would suggest you speak to David Bowyer Goodwinch Winches & Parts, Electric Winches and Winch Bumpers, UK – Goodwinch.com he is a friendy guy, knows his stuff and reasonably priced.

What do I know - I have four Land Rovers and a buggy each fitted with a winch front middle and rear, I have another five vehicles all fitted with various electric winches both 12v and 24v. We often overvolt our winches and put 24v through a 12v winch, some motors will stand this and some burn out, David Bowyer sells the ones which tolerate 24v.