IBS, anyone else got? how do u cope?

Rik

I was informed that removing basal plates of veg like onions,garlic and leeks can make things a little easier. Same as preparing root veg such as carrots ensuring half an inch off each end. Cabbage is better with leaves peeled off individually and white stem cut off each leaf. Easier on a savoy. Basically ensuring nothing just sits in the gut needing alot of processing.

It was an old boy that told me this and said it alleviated some of the cramps.

As well as taking time to chew food and less more often.

I'm not a doctor. Hope this may be of some use. If someone knows differently let me know as I will remove it from my memory bank.

I don't have such problems but always do this and have less stomach upsets.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't seem to make much odds whether you have a healthy diet or not. Mine was full of fresh fruit and vegetables, wholegrain bread, not much red meat etc. before the intolerances started. If anything, it's probably less healthy now since it contains more heavily boiled vegetables and less fibre.

Yes intolerances can be triggered, sometimes by odd things. Mine were triggered by a particularly nasty virus at a time when I was stressed. It had me running to the toilet every half hour or so for ten days, and when it was over I was intolerant to things. My daughter's was triggered by antibiotics.

Mine started 18 months ago. Having got the major triggers, I now sometimes have several days in a row without it. I'm looking forward to finding the others though so I can go back to fellwalking, which I don't dare do until it's predictably fixed.

I like really hot food, and for a while couldn't have curry, Chinese or Thai. Once I'd worked out that garlic was the problem, I found that our local places all cook to order and they were quite happy to prepare food without it. In my case, chillis, black pepper and ginger are all fine. I've also found that Domino's will do pizza without cheese. A bit odd, but still perfectly edible. The point is, once you've figured out the key triggers, you can probably eat pretty normally but with a little care.

I still miss a nice bit of blue stilton though!

Alec

Edited by agg221

I never had IBS, but I did have a form of IBD called Ulcerative Colitis. All the foods that are generally accepted as "healthy" for a non sufferer, were the worst kind for me to eat. Fresh fruit and veg were the worst. Wholemeal bread and fibre providers were a no no. Basically I had to turn everything upside down, and give it a good shake.

All I can recommend is seeing a proper dietician and eliminating anything that will aggravate you, ie cigarettes, beer, and stress. Peppermint oil and infusions help ease the symptoms. I think peppermint oil capsules are available on prescription, called Colpermin.

Well guys, firstly many thanks for all the responses and support, however ive been back for more tests and thy think they may have found it to be crohns disease (however u spell it) which i think is also a part of the IBD family (is that right andy?)... Possible surgery apparently... Ah well... These things happen aye...

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Well guys, firstly many thanks for all the responses and support, however ive been back for more tests and thy think they may have found it to be crohns disease (however u spell it) which i think is also a part of the IBD family (is that right andy?)... Possible surgery apparently... Ah well... These things happen aye...

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

It's your life but imo do yourself a favour and try your diet before you let them start doing possible irriversible damage.

As said before I don't have a lot of faith in the medical system, for some reason there are a lot of doctors out there who don't believe that ilness can be linked to what you eat.

• 3 months later...

I had my entire colon (large intestine) removed as a result of my UC. Crohns can be more debilitating, as it can flare anywhere in the body between mouth and butt, at any time. UC can be removed in one, as mine was, or with progressive surgery, ie a little removed at a time. Seriously, alcohol will aggravate, and smoking masks the symptoms well, making a flare worse when it does arise. google Crohns & Colitis UK for help and advice. If you get a flare, go on a low residue diet (google that too) to clear out your gut, certain foods will get stuck in the folds of your gut and aggravate it.

Finally, many people manage to work with Crohns or Colitis, and the docs will tell you you can lead a "normal" life.... Just remember, this is not "normal" work and will make it hard for you during a bad spell. I work hard on my good days now, and chill on the days im not so good.

If there's anything you need to know, and don't want to broadcast it on the forum, pm me and ill try to help, from my own experiences.