Bigger Saw?

NFG

Hello,

i have an MS250 with an 18" bar mainly for firewood, we buy in 1 & 2 metre sticks between about 4" & 12" diameter 2 or 3 stere mixed hardwood & 8 stere oak per year.

Firstly, I intend to fit a smaller bar to the 250, its a nice saw IMO, well balanced, powerful & cuts very well with a sharp chain, a 22" elm is the largest ive felled & it cut well through that. Whilst I'm an amateur here, Ive about 30 years experience & use the appropriate safety clothing, trousers, steel boots, gloves & arm protection.

However, Im thinking a larger saw would handle large oak easier. Oak being fairly tough seems to blunt the .325 chain which stretches most when cutting oak - or so it appears to me.

So would a 391 with 18 or 20 inch bar do the job for the larger rings? or should I save & get a 460 or have I been watching too many Utube videos? (ive also looked at similar posts)

Your thoughts & comment appreciated, so thanks in advance

N

Hello,

i have an MS250 with an 18" bar mainly for firewood, we buy in 1 & 2 metre sticks between about 4" & 12" diameter 2 or 3 stere mixed hardwood & 8 stere oak per year.

Firstly, I intend to fit a smaller bar to the 250, its a nice saw IMO, well balanced, powerful & cuts very well with a sharp chain, a 22" elm is the largest ive felled & it cut well through that. Whilst I'm an amateur here, Ive about 30 years experience & use the appropriate safety clothing, trousers, steel boots, gloves & arm protection.

However, Im thinking a larger saw would handle large oak easier. Oak being fairly tough seems to blunt the .325 chain which stretches most when cutting oak - or so it appears to me.

So would a 391 with 18 or 20 inch bar do the job for the larger rings? or should I save & get a 460 or have I been watching too many Utube videos? (ive also looked at similar posts)

Your thoughts & comment appreciated, so thanks in advance

N

HI MATE im told 460 a good saw mate i will a 660 on 20ins bar soon that will be good thanks or a 372 husky will do your job thanks jon

460 with a 25" bar.

I have a range of saws all the way up to an 880, but pretty much all my work is carried out with just an ms201t with 12" bar and the 460

Im with steve on this 460 25" bar will cope with most. Some say they struggle with 25"bar mine seems to handle it fine.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2