Catalytic converter stolen North Essex

scraggs

For the 2nd time in less than 3 months I have more stuff stolen, this time is was the cat from my ford ranger, taken from the front of my house in Alresford Essex last night.

Apparently there has been loads stolen in the area recently and mainly from 4x4 trucks, so I don't now how but try do what you can to protect your trucks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the 2nd time in less than 3 months I have more stuff stolen, this time is was the cat from my ford ranger, taken from the front of my house in Alresford Essex last night.

Apparently there has been loads stolen in the area recently and mainly from 4x4 trucks, so I don't now how but try do what you can to protect your trucks.

Sorry bud . I have heard this . Apparently they use a plumbers type pipe cutter ? Silent . I think its for the scrap value . Bloody nightmare .

A Cat contains platinum, therefore they are worth a load to unscrupulous smelters!

Pipe cuttersbor cordless grinders or saws make some vehicles easy targets, especially 4x4 types because of the underbelly ground clearance.

One possible way is to have a friendly welder shove some weld or weld strips along your pipe where it be easiest to attach a pipe cutter or get to it with cordless kit.

Yes this one was done with a pipe cutter, I had welded the bolts up on it after one went around the corner a while back and that one was unbolted, anoyingly I heard something during the night and never thought anything of it as it was windy and just thought it was something getting blown around outside.

Time for some huge security upgrades around the place next week, yet more expence just to earn a living.

I had thought about welding some strips down the new pipe although apparently they arent so interested in the pattern part ones as they contain far less platinum than genuine ones, but how true that is I don't know.

The nomadic camp has already been visited.

Hi yup there about just a bit of advice for you guys as im in the Exhaust trade yes the aftermarket ones are cheeper and there not worth as much they are taking them from most tall vehicles that have underbody cats ! Sprinters transits rangers etc.

For the MOT you dont need a Cat on a diesel so why replace it with another one? we fit replacement pipes for people then if they come back they arent going to nick that its not worth it !

there are some different ideas re security the most effective seam to be fixed cages round the cats to stop them being removed! there are some deices tat clamp round the cat body and then have a steel cable attached to the vehicle i have heard that these are not very effective as they just cut the cable and make off with the cat!

Problem is unlike scrap which you now need to be payed either onto a debit card by cheque or direct into the bank the cat refiners still pay cash !