The much-hyped Green Deal - was that it???!

ThrustSSC

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember, about ten possibly more, years ago, the first of the new generation wood-chip boilers being fitted to certain farm houses. Great, everyone said. Clever contraption, burns rubbish, or what was perceived as rubbish....

Those in the know were correct in predicting the steady rise in costs for all the wood-fuels that cluster together in this area, straight firewood, C30 & C50 chip and the vast range of pellets. Now some of these were produced as a by product of another process which was good as it meant that all forest produce was utilised.

What has happened in fact, is the fuel side has started to dominate the market. In my opinion no bad thing because this has made woodland owners able to pay to have their trees attended to. In this case, as an example, the steady rise in firewood prices is very clear.

Forest managers have an alternative market for the tree tops/rejects that would have cost to haul long distances to the chip companies. That is also a plus.

To be able to get an easy loan and up-grade your existing boiler to something probably 50% more efficient is commendable and I support this idea.

To change it to a wood-butning machine be it on any available fuel is really another ball game. Perhaps this is why nothing has been set firm.....yet.

Another opinion is that you can have the best & most efficient boiler fitted, but if you can't keep the heat inside of the property itself, you are wasting your money. Insulation is probably just as important as the new boiler, whatever it burns. Good insulation is not cheap either, although what is currently available today far exceeds in volume over performance what was available not too many years ago.

codlasher.

Edited by codlasher

I know some people who have told me they have modified there properties just to make it qualify for commercial RHI.

Some thing about building a extra tiny shed or room apart from there house & heating it, can't remember the details.

Seemed abit of a scam tbh?

Might have to look into that, as my plan was an external boilerhouse...

Can any future green deal please be backdated to allow me some RHI with our wood heating= log burners. I don't see why these are left out as they are surely greener than solar and more local. Does RHI only apply to green energy that would be uneconomic to install without a subsidy.

I believe log burners/stoves and open fires were always excluded "because they're inefficient and people burn rubbish in them, and we can't measure how much you use them" which translates as "because no-one is contributing to our political party funds like the big pellet/chip suppliers are, and we can't be bothered to think of a way of incentivising them".

I remember being on the inside of a high-profile project one, and so I could put what I read in the papers in perspective, and form a judgement on their reporting based on facts. I think this domestic RHI thing is looking similar - seeing the biomass industry from the inside I can judge the government's position for what it is: designed to reward big business and make it hard for the small guys, even though they're prepared to put the effort in to produce a good product.

I was also looking to build a wood fuel business based on RHI and get qualified to supply and install the boilers etc.

When did this change come about?.

A

Last week, if I've got it right - at least in terms of public info. The position now is "domestic RHI is rolled-in to Green Deal" and "Green Deal is about [high-interest-rate] loans to enable improvements to be made and paid for out of the savings".

While we're on the Green Deal, is it just me who would be put off by a property subject to a levy due to 'improvements'? Given it would be far cheaper to self-finance the improvements, there's no way I'd look at this scheme!

Last week, if I've got it right - at least in terms of public info. The position now is "domestic RHI is rolled-in to Green Deal" and "Green Deal is about [high-interest-rate] loans to enable improvements to be made and paid for out of the savings".

While we're on the Green Deal, is it just me who would be put off by a property subject to a levy due to 'improvements'? Given it would be far cheaper to self-finance the improvements, there's no way I'd look at this scheme!

And it seems that the loan to to the property not the owner, so when the property is sold the loan moves to the new property owners it seems.

A

As far as I am aware RHI domestic is still on. Contrary to my concerns that log gasification would not be included, I gather that they will be supported as long as they cannot burn fossil fuels.

I guess nobody will know if RHI domestic will appear until June, but with the way our economy is at the moment would not be surprised if government back tracks.

All we can do is pray.