Felling willow tomorrow.

SAW

Hi,

I've been told that tomorrow i am to cut down a load of willow along a river, is there anything i have to look out for when felling the trees??

All the help you can give would be great!!

Thanks for your time.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about that Saw, just thought Bobs post was hilarious.

My first concern before even thinking about felling would be do you have the authorisation to fell them mate, i.e do you need a felling licence, are they within a AONB, SSSI etc... or are they subject to TPO or conservation area restrictions?

My second would be not to get wet!

You stated cut and fell in the same sentence mate, it may be me but cut implies reduction/pollard etc.. fell implies down to ground/coppice. Make sure whoever has contracted you knows what the score is.

Good Luck, take yer wellies and snorkel

If they have a significant lean make sure you 'take out the ears' to avoid a barber-chair situation.

Hopefully you'll do better than the blokes the other side of the river from us last week who pollarded a willow over the river - they just chucked all the brash in the water and waved goodbye to it!

make sure your route up the bank is clear and you can get up it quickly if felling bankside trees as they can do quite unpredictable things when dropped in the river, also be prepared for trees getting hung up if they are quite dense, this is where having a sharp saw and cutting quickly helps as if you cut into the hinge a bit more than normal then the momentum will help it come down.

Above all if your not happy, dont do it! i have walked away from bankside trees due to risks such as where you have to stand, severe leans etc.

also be aware of cavities that may be potential bat roosts for species such as daubentons. and if the river is fast flowing get a life jacket, I generally wear my life jacket on shallower stuff as this is where your more likey to hit your head on the bottom, in deeper water (within reason) your likely to be able to get out.