Mini diggers, anybody using them for tree work?

dave28

I think that almost any brand of mini digger are perfectly acceptable, and will give good service.

Dare I say the one to avoid is the JCB, but again I know plenty of people who have no issues with them whatsoever.

I suppose it's almost the Stihl/Husky debate all over again?:big grin:

A decent dealer for whatever brand locally is something to think about and can certainly sway some purchasing decisions.

I have really centred on the Tb016 from Takeuchi from many hours in the seat of one, plus the simple fact you'll not drive past many utility type works without seeing them used on long term self drive hire and it doesn't get much rougher than that work.

The used market for them has always been exceptionally strong and this is where if people have spare funds to try one then they almost certainly won't lose out if they decide it isn't for them.

The Kubota is very much the same with a legendary reputation for reliability and compared side by side look to be light years in front of the Takeuchi in terms of styling/built/finish/detailing.

However as I say in rough work this can work against you with the nice panels costing a lot of money to replace.

The Takeuchi's can be very easily refurbished with new paint/stickers and the odd dent knocked out the steel panels.

Whatever brand you choose, a 1.5 tonner is something that can produce a large amount of work for very reasonable running costs.

Eddie.

I concur with the above and pretty much all the opinions before re workrates, productivity etc.

1.5t might be a little bit slower, but have proved to be profitable for me. The flexibility is what I like best- if you could make more money on a big job doing it faster, then just hire one for that job.

Re the fuel- mine will work all day on 15 litres. Which is insane value for money.

I'd have to reccomend a proper grapple though. Not too expensive, around £500 for a 1.5 tonner and worth every penny. With mine I can handle timber effortlessly, tease small stumps out and then grab them to dispose of, as well as carefully pluck saplings out, roots and all.

You'll be at a disadvantage with a thumb and bucket as opposed to a grapple if most of the work is going to be handling timber and brash.

Had a job a few years ago clearing 1-2" pine regrowth on the heath. Contractor had a big show on for the committe, blokes with clearing saws, bundling it to a chipper then painting the stumps with roundup.

Sod that, me on the digger could do the work of the three men, no need for a chipper or roundup as you pull the roots out as well. Pluck, drop, pluck drop, pluck, drop, pick up the bundle and track to the next clump!

It's been said time and time again- a mini is the cheapest man on the job. Your imagination is the limit.

I owe a big thanks to Eddie here. He was featured in Earthmovers mag, saying how easy it was to grab a log and smooth out disturbed ground. So simple when you think about it, but I couldn't see the wood for the trees! :lol

I suppose these grapples are non rotating, grab and rotator too heavy?

Some really useful and informative posts here, many thanks.

I'd want to move one around on my Ifor platform trailer behind a Hilux so 1.5 ton it would have to be and even that would be pushing to the limit.

Lovely pic of the Takeuchi!

I hope not many folk in my area are reading this thread- Iv always felt having my takeuchi and grab have made me piss over the competition on alot of felling/clearing jobs, sure- a few have large tractors and cranes but on alot of jobs my little digger will run rings around them and fuel wise get a days work out of it for about a tenners worth of red diesel.

Ref using the grab to pick up a 6ft long and use it to clear/level ground, i have done this lots with mine- works great.

I have tried quite a few minis and i totally agree with eddie the jcb is gutless compared to the takeuchi, I have done 2000 hrs on my tak and it literally has not cost me a penny in downtime, and i give it some stick on some jobs where i think to myself i could do with a 3 tonner.

There is a new takeuchi out called the tb219 which has slightly longer reach and a bit more weight behind it- this weighs 2 ton and could be a very useful compromise between a 1.5tonner and 2.5ton.

I also use my digger with a postdriver and in average conditions it is much faster then a tractor knocking stakes in and all on my own too.

I certainly would reccommend the takeuchi for tree work- as Eddie says the basic tough casing on it can take a knock or two with out cracking all the casings which most of the other makes have.

5976633b0ce5f_DSCF54231.jpg.b93b13beb5bbc74edc06d42d3e654d9b.jpg

5976633b113d7_DSCF54571.jpg.b54ac06b74e80e3c7ac774301f4ea544.jpg

5976633b13378_DSCF54511.jpg.65656fc1f9d389404dfcdded6a7f2cd0.jpg

Here are a few of mine the last one is extracting timber out of a sensitive woodland with no tracks or any thing, I had to snake my way through the trees to get it out- about a 100m extraction route. First one is my postknocker doing some fencing on the moors- again the digger suited this job perfectly have the ability reach over bolders etc to knock stakes in.

I never mentioned the TB219 as in reality there's hardly any available used yet, but if someone is looking at new then yes it's got to be more than worth a look.

They have a little more weight, reach, engine power, different pumps, more auxiliary flow for attachments and extend out a little wider for more stability.

I'd go as far to say anyone who's actually looking to purchase new is onto an absolute winner with one of these, as they are certain to be very keenly sought after by those in the know as the ultimate mini that punches well over it's weight.

The only possible negative I did see but I've not tried one yet, is they have made the blade stick out a ridiculous way in front of the machine for more stability which could prove awkward when manoeuvring around site.

Possibly of interest is that Kubota again trump this machine with the special order KX019, which is actually available into the UK if you ask.

This in reality is the ultimate of the class with all the bells/whistles and some nice touches like proportional auxiliary lines controlled via the joysticks usually reserved for larger machines.

This model again is pushing into the 2 tonne class and pretty much matches the TB219 spec.

One for an owner driver who wants all the nice bits and the peace of mind with Kubota reliability plus 3 year warranty from new to back that up.

Very nice!

http://www.esontrading.se/Broschyr%20KX019-4.pdf

Eddie.

I suppose these grapples are non rotating, grab and rotator too heavy?

Some really useful and informative posts here, many thanks.

I'd want to move one around on my Ifor platform trailer behind a Hilux so 1.5 ton it would have to be and even that would be pushing to the limit.

Lovely pic of the Takeuchi!

No, you can fit a small grab and rotator but the grapple once your used to it is almost as quick on timber (just knock the timber round the right way to pick it up). Plus you can wrestle out small stumps and clear brash with it more effectively.