Advice on price to fell and burn 100 Lawsons

dave28

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't need permission to fell them as in my opinion it is classed as a hedge and that is covered by a different act all together.

Please correct me anybody if I'm wrong but I didn't think you need permission to fell a hedge ?

Phoned the council to check and was told that at this height these are trees and are protected. Cheers.

There are limits on how much you can burn on site and notwithstanding, you aren’t allowed to cause nuisance, its going to make smoke but you can limit it by how you burn, if you can get hold of a grain drying fan or similar and improvise an air burner you can reduce the smoke by a huuuuuge amount

In a conservation area you don’t apply for permission, that would be a TPO. In a CA you inform the LA of your intentions, they can either stop you or not.

You are right, spoke to council planning and although they are not protected by a TPO we need to use the same form to notify them of our intention to fell-

"Application for tree works: works to trees subject to a tree preservation order (TPO)

and/or notification of proposed works to trees in a conservation area.

Town and Country Planning Act 1990"

Cheers.

You should read guidance from the Env Agency before lighting any big bonfires.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Business/D7_exemption.pdf

Cheers Paul, spoke to council and they also sent me this link as well.

Critical points seem to be "place of production" and "You can burn up to 10 tonnes of waste in any 24-hour period.

You can store up to 20 tonnes of waste at any one time.

You can store waste for up to six months before burning, to allow certain wood wastes to dry out.

So I guess that as long as I don't winch it too far from the place of production, don't cause a smoke problem, don't annoy the neighbours, don't forget to weigh it and burn more than 10 ton, don't leave it too long before I burn it, don't upset nesting birds, squatters, wildlife, ramblers or village children I should be all right to get on with it!

Do you have a mill of any sort?

A chap called Scott Coles loves Lawson for his softwood framed buildings - PM me if you want his number as it depends on where you are in the country, if you have a mill, extraction etc etc

He says it is one of the most durable timbers for what he does.

Cheers Rob, I suppose that would apply to Macra Carpra as well?

Problem is many of these trees start life as part of a hedge so are rarely clean stemmed.

Phoned the council to check and was told that at this height these are trees and are protected. Cheers.

Personally I think they are pushing things there, thats clearly a hedge, wonder what they would have said you you had told them you were just reducing them??:sneaky2:

Would they really TPO that hedge????:confused1:

Cheers Paul, spoke to council and they also sent me this link as well.

Critical points seem to be "place of production" and "You can burn up to 10 tonnes of waste in any 24-hour period.

You can store up to 20 tonnes of waste at any one time.

You can store waste for up to six months before burning, to allow certain wood wastes to dry out.

So I guess that as long as I don't winch it too far from the place of production, don't cause a smoke problem, don't annoy the neighbours, don't forget to weigh it and burn more than 10 ton, don't leave it too long before I burn it, don't upset nesting birds, squatters, wildlife, ramblers or village children I should be all right to get on with it!

You need to take care doing this.

In the past I have been asked by developer to chip brash thats been cut and stacked, I had to point out that it was the nesting season and birds were nesting in the piles.

The stupid thing was they had rushed to get it cut before bird nesting season, but birds love to nest in stacked brash, so they had totally wasted their time cutting it.