Snow days and employees??

Rick2517

Someone mentioned making up the short hours at a later point. IME this will never happen, there is always an excuse, or a reason why this doesn't happen. I must have heard every excuse under the sun, dentists, gotta get to the bank, need chld care what ever. So that idea may as well be forgotten. Pay them for the hours worked, pro rata. If a job gets finished in less than expected time, and e lads have made good time, gone without a break or whatever, let them go early on full pay, if they took an hour for lunch, they work the full day. This isn't about bad bosses, or bad staff, it's bad weather, everyone's interpretation is different. Everyone's journey is different, and their driving skills, some may be less confident in driving on snow. How much will it cost your company if one of your vehicles and chippers is totalled on the icy roads? Risk assessments for doing Treework in this weather? If there is an accident on site, how are you going to get around that? There is a lot to consider in making the decision to work.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you offer in exchange for a late finish? :001_smile:

1.5 times normal hourly rate over time was always paid. As someone has said if it becomes a tit for tat fight between staff and boss You need to put your cards on the table and the whole company needs to talk it through. In this economic climate I see plenty of bosses kicking the door shut I dont see so many employees being head hunted. With all the legislation it has become very difficult to employ people in this country. Its alright for the government to make the rules they are not paying for them. Some small firms have to struggle on while their male staff are on maternity leave, then on the sick, then on holiday, then on a training course.

too much 'them and us'- as a firm you've got to work together.

You get the boss you deserve.:thumbup1:

True, but it works both ways. When I was free lancing, I never had a problem doing a bit longer to finish a job as long as it was understood that if a job was banged out early then I went home early. There needs to be a mutual respect and when somebody suggests that staff should be expected to fix it when the boss fails to assess the job properly it is very divisive.

1.5 times normal hourly rate over time was always paid. As someone has said if it becomes a tit for tat fight between staff and boss You need to put your cards on the table and the whole company needs to talk it through. In this economic climate I see plenty of bosses kicking the door shut I dont see so many employees being head hunted. With all the legislation it has become very difficult to employ people in this country. Its alright for the government to make the rules they are not paying for them. Some small firms have to struggle on while their male staff are on maternity leave, then on the sick, then on holiday, then on a training course.

Then you offer a fair reward. :001_smile:

So you would expect somebody with whom you have a contract to suddenly accept less than you agreed? OK then, I'll agree to buy a load of your products and then at the last minute offer you less for them. Would you be happy about that? :001_rolleyes:

Contractual labor laws are different in your country. Since I live and work in a Right to work state this is not an issue. If a company agrees to purchase product from myself and than decides to offer me less than the agreed price that would really be stupid if not impossible. All of my over seas accounts are prepay. Any accounts try that stunt here would really be cutting their own throats since their competition will just buy their stock to keep the customer happy.:thumbup1:.

easy-lift guy

Contractual labor laws are different in your country. Since I live and work in a Right to work state this is not an issue. If a company agrees to purchase product from myself and than decides to offer me less than the agreed price that would really be stupid if not impossible. All of my over seas accounts are prepay. Any accounts try that stunt here would really be cutting their own throats since their competition will just buy their stock to keep the customer happy.:thumbup1:.

easy-lift guy

So you are happy making such a bold statement as to suggest that continued employment is a good enough reason to allow fundamental breaches of contract while you yourself offer the information that the situation in the UK ( which is what we are discussing) is different to that which you know. My example was to illustrate that a contract is a contract, whether for purchase of goods or purchase of labour, and terms cannot be changed by either party to the detriment of the other.In fact, to use your own words, it would be 'really stupid if not impossible'. :001_smile:

So you are happy making such a bold statement as to suggest that continued employment is a good enough reason to allow fundamental breaches of contract while you yourself offer the information that the situation in the UK ( which is what we are discussing) is different to that which you know. My example was to illustrate that a contract is a contract, whether for purchase of goods or purchase of labour, and terms cannot be changed by either party to the detriment of the other.In fact, to use your own words, it would be 'really stupid if not impossible'. :001_smile:

Felix, calm down. My happiness has nothing to do with my opinion regarding this subject. As I stated earlier, living in a Right to work state allows my company to hirer who I want at a minimum wage or more. I do not need to hire contract labor, and I don't need to answer to a union or the government, not yet anyway:sneaky2:. In regards to contracts and how they are written loop holes and or exceptions can and do exist. Like I stated earlier your labor laws and contract law are different than our laws here in the USA, especially here in Florida. I believe your using my quote out of context since I don't believe I was

Referencing contract labor laws. I was referencing my own business policies and procedures. Since my customers have no issues with said policies and procedures I continue to move forward and keep my customers and dealers happy:thumbup1:.

easy-lift guy

where i work there is a weird issue with snow days. All resteraunt/shop and other staff get paid full day rate/stay at home if its a declared snow day by manager yet me and a few other gardeners are never given a snow day and expected to work regardless. same applies when place closes for other conditions, ie extreme winds etc. been same for 16 years i been there.

sure does build up a lil bad feeling some days when its really minging and you know a dozen folks are sitting in nice warm house on pay and you are out in it. but thats only on worst days it feels like that.