Snow days and employees??

Rick2517

I have had this so many times I have lost count with new employees. I left at 3pm to beat the traffic and get home by five. Means the 1 hr of work left behind means 4 hrs of travelling 240 miles of diesel. After alot of vocal discussion no one is in any doubt as to what is expected on site.

What do you offer in exchange for a late finish? :001_smile:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We got Friday off because of the snow and the boss gave us the choice of a days paid holiday or a day unpaid leave.

Are you cards in?

Thats not much of a choice for an hourly paid employee.

When you say unpaid leave will he be puting the employer contributions in for you? If not he is saying take leave or I am not paying you for the day(s):thumbdown:

The law as I understand it is.... If they can't get to work there is no obligation to pay them. If you shut down your operation then you have to pay them. If you give your staff more than the basic 28 days holiday then you can insist they take any holiday above the 28 days without notice. Though that will never be a popular decision. I'd say pay for a basic 7.5 hour day. If you're good at choosing staff it should pay for its self 3 times over during the year....... Everyone loves a snow day, especially if they have kids!

I think if on the books then full days pay should be in order if they have got to the depot. I bet most tree firms give 20 days holiday and no sick pay so to ask them to take a days holiday or days unpaid then you might as well be self employed. Just my feelings having gone through a similar situation

too much 'them and us'- as a firm you've got to work together.

You get the boss you deserve.:thumbup1:

and the boss gets the staff he deserves......as you say all should pull together. Sotimes however there cn be a viscious circle which at some point needs to be broken. I know i have seen that in a couple of past companies....."i'm not doing that cause they dont do that" Well if hes being like that we'll be like this"

Communication is the key here. Dont leave things to fester and resentment build. As a boss be approachable and open to dialogue. As staff remember that

kit costs money and look after it.......blah blah:001_smile: