Snow days and employees??

Rick2517

Hi guys,

Seams like a logical time to ask this question as I'm sure there are many employers out there trying to keep things going throughout the bad weather were currently having.

I currently have 3 guys on the books on full time contracts, I also use labor only sub contractors, I tend to be rather good at keeping things going and everyone busy but the one spanner in my works is "snow days" We try very hard not to let the weather get the better of us but it seams the snow is the only thing that stops us getting out there and completing the work. I do keep a stock of un processed hard wood that two guys can go on logging to cover there income and the third tends to do odd jobs and admin in the office. However this can only keep us going for a few days. I've also considered investing into some snow plough and gritting gear but when looking into the figures I'm finding it hard to justify spending so much money on kit that may not get used for a hole year!

So how do you get around this issue??

Do you lay the guys off?, take the chance and send the guys out?.....

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Rich

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a contingency that is very difficult to plan for as it is so irregular. We endeavour to push on as the lack of income for a few days eats into capital and moral pretty quickly.

I try to organise some ground based work if the weather looks a bit cack though this is not always possible.

Alaways have some grit on the trucks and shovels. We send teams ahead in the 4wd and the rest clear the roads into an estate. Got a complaint from a miserable b***h one year. We cleared and gritted the long hill up to a snow bound cul-de-sac and she complained the path was covered in snow.

From an employers position if guys don't turn in they don't get paid, if you tell them not to they do. Have a discussion with them. Most employees are smarter than they are given credit for and know when things are tight. Talk to them candidly and come to an arrangement where they do lighter or half days in the snow and then make up some of the time later in the year.

It's not ideal, it's just an idea.

This is a contingency that is very difficult to plan for as it is so irregular. We endeavour to push on as the lack of income for a few days eats into capital and moral pretty quickly.

I try to organise some ground based work if the weather looks a bit cack though this is not always possible.

Alaways have some grit on the trucks and shovels. We send teams ahead in the 4wd and the rest clear the roads into an estate. Got a complaint from a miserable b***h one year. We cleared and gritted the long hill up to a snow bound cul-de-sac and she complained the path was covered in snow.

From an employers position if guys don't turn in they don't get paid, if you tell them not to they do. Have a discussion with them. Most employees are smarter than they are given credit for and know when things are tight. Talk to them candidly and come to an arrangement where they do lighter or half days in the snow and then make up some of the time later in the year.

It's not ideal, it's just an idea.

Thanks Paul,

That sounds about right with regards to the moaning guy, try to do a good dead and people take advantage!!

We do have a 4x4 so I think tacticle work planning is the key. Also taking grit to site sounds like a good plan to.

Very difficult question to answer without getting bogged down in Employment law. If you have your staff on a Zero hours contract then you can reduce their hours while the snow is a problem but don't expect it to be a popular decision. If they are on a Fixed hours contract and are willing to come to work then you have to bite the bullet and swallow any shortfall with regards to Income v Expenditure unless you have a good enough relationship with them to make a deal. Good luck and hope it works out well for all concerned. :001_smile:

Like its been mentioned above, most staff are willing to help employer out in tricky times but your always going to get a couple that kick up a bit of a stink.

When i had lads working for me (PAYE), i used to swallow the odd day but if it went on for a few days i would pay them a full day but the lads would take half a days holiday out of their 20 days a used to give them. It wasn't my fault it snowed and it wasn't theirs.

I would say talk to them and explain your situation you will get more respect from them.

An old employer of mine used to basically say it's my way or highway, rub all the boys up the wrong way and production would slow right down. We would never work on an extra 10 min to finish job off we would rather go back next day.

All this was because the boss became a total co@k.

I have always done more for someone who has been open and honest to me.

I would say talk to them and explain your situation you will get more respect from them.

An old employer of mine used to basically say it's my way or highway, rub all the boys up the wrong way and production would slow right down. We would never work on an extra 10 min to finish job off we would rather go back next day.

All this was because the boss became a total co@k.

I have always done more for someone who has been open and honest to me.

What an extraordinary thing to admit:confused1: