Bar recommendations

TerryTibbs

Going to get a Sugihara bar for an upcoming purchase of a 395XP (G - if i can find one!)

I assume - corrections welcome, that the 395 is a D009 bar mount, i have a 24" Husky bar that'll live on it most the time til i change it.

I'm of the mindset of running shorter bars on bigger saws, MS660 on a 25" for example

So i'm considering what other bar to have, Sugi do a 28" and a 36", the bar just be for bigger fells rather than an everyday bar.

So do i

- Run the 24 - poor quality, as are most standard Husky bars and replace it when it's shot and get a 36" for felling/bucking

or

Get a 28" Sugi and just get on with it when the need for a larger bar arises.

Advice here please.

Cheers,

Chris :001_smile:

what is your reason for such big engine short bar combo i would see the need if this was your only or main saw.I have never tried this but just might .

Cutting speed, a 36" bar on a 95cc saw is too slow. Guess it's just been from what i've taught and people i've worked with, 90cc saw, max 30" bar. 25" is ideal.

Chris

Cutting speed too slow? I suppose, though I've never really been impressed with the cutting speed of the 3120 and 084/088, though they do have the ability to pull long bars.

Yes, 395 is large husqvarna bar mount,

A healthy 066 or 395 should be well matched to a 28-32" bar with full-comp chain and an 8t rim for all-around use. By healthy I mean tuned correctly, muffler opened up so the thing can breathe, and run by an operator who knows how to keep the saw in its powerband. For the guy who doesn't know how to keep it in its powerband, a 7t rim might be a better choice.

A 36" bar would work if you need that length for felling big trees, but unless you're felling monster trees day in and out, there is seldom any real need for such a bar length.

Cutting speed, a 36" bar on a 95cc saw is too slow. Guess it's just been from what i've taught and people i've worked with, 90cc saw, max 30" bar. 25" is ideal.

Chris

You can pull a 25'' chain off a stihl 440 with ease! So a larger cc saw will pull a 32'' no problem