What is the biggest crane?

benedmonds

I have a HUGE poplar in a back garden, 2m DBH, 30m high, 20m spread, over half a dozen gardens, numerous sheds and greenhouses. The road is about 40m from the base of the tree.

Is there a crane that could reach?

What would they charge per day?

How much would it be able to lift?

poplar.jpg.582c29ee7fcd81de98ff2e174cd00b7b.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Theres plenty of cranes that could do it, its wether you can prove stability of ground and get access? If its working on the road and over houses youd be better talking to a company and have a full contract service so you don't have the responsibility.

Full contract services as nick says and maybe a mobile tower crane (1500-2000). I think it would ok for the branches, if you could deck the stem then lift from there, but whats the point, eh!

Also ask how much road closures are (could be up to £2000), you'll also want to price in a couple of bins (6-700) to take it away

Have you got an arb trolley? are those loads of green houses below?

You could always price it like you don't want it. £8000 + road closure/ one day should just about cover it.

You could always price it like you don't want it.

Edited by redmoosefaction

I have a HUGE poplar in a back garden, 2m DBH, 30m high, 20m spread, over half a dozen gardens, numerous sheds and greenhouses. The road is about 40m from the base of the tree.

Is there a crane that could reach?

What would they charge per day?

How much would it be able to lift?

where abouts is this as i am from leicestershire and i can see your from loughtbrough. thats a big old tree.

I'd say the biggest you'd get in there is a 100t. We had a price for a job a couple of years ago and it was a couple of grand for 2 days crane hire. You'd have to have their banksman with radio comms. You'd need the special plates they put under the legs to stop the road collapsing into the sewer. Look at getting the power and phone lines dropped. The one we got priced was 52m from the centre of the road and the 100t crane could lift 1.7t at that reach.

The killer was the insurance. As the lifts were over other peoples houses it went to 5 figures. We actually had CAA clearance to extract the butt and limbs by helicopter but the garden was so small the tree would have filled it up too much to make the heli-lift cost effective.

Ended up doing it old school and marched it all through the house in lumps. Chipped the brash in the garden and brought out in recycling bins. 5 guys 6 days including grinding the 8' stump with a little Camon grinder.