How much profit is there hauling timber?

eggsarascal

i priced up getting an 8 wheeler about 3 years ago i was doing a lot of ground work & was in constant need of 8 peg tippers so i looked at going down the route of buying & operating

when i had sat down with pen paper & calcuator i decided that it was bloody expensive to run an hgv in fact it was more than double what i had been thinking of!!!!

the hgv route was not for me!!!

it was a lot cheaper to use somebody else to cart our spoil on big jobs!!!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i priced up getting an 8 wheeler about 3 years ago i was doing a lot of ground work & was in constant need of 8 peg tippers so i looked at going down the route of buying & operating

when i had sat down with pen paper & calcuator i decided that it was bloody expensive to run an hgv in fact it was more than double what i had been thinking of!!!!

the hgv route was not for me!!!

it was a lot cheaper to use somebody else to cart our spoil on big jobs!!!

i agree... theres hauliers running timber around all day to earn a good wage.. trouble is they are so busy doing their regular runs to the mills etc that you can never get hold of them...

we dont have that problem.. if theres no good paying work around, lorry either sits in yard or we swap trailers and do something else...

lorry and tailers are all paid for, £2300 yr insurance, £700 yr tax... £60 week dont care how long it sits in yard for...

If I'm reading this right, some one has started a thread asking for some costs. Someone has been good enough to provide them. Then the original poster criticises them.

Nick must wonder why he bothered to reply.

I agree.

What does it matter what nick earns?? How is that any of anyone's business, if I want some cord and nick gives me a price and I'm happy than how is that a problem?? Maybe you just don't like seeing someone doing all right? Why come on here and talk rubbish about something you think you know about. Life's to short.

What does it matter what nick earns?? How is that any of anyone's business, if I want some cord and nick gives me a price and I'm happy than how is that a problem?? Maybe you just don't like seeing someone doing all right? Why come on here and talk rubbish about something you think you know about. Life's to short.

Have to agree with that comment:thumbup1:

you will find he hauls farm produce hey .straw, etc

Nick you seem like a decent guy, i think you have been far to honest! most of the ladds on here dont appreciate the costs in running HGV,s our wagons are running at 3/5 MPG Heavy Haul, they are always in the worshop, lights, mudwings, air problems, not to mention tyres! the 8x4 tippers are the exact same! always rattling to bits because of quarry/site tracks, etc, the straw wagons were not that different this year either! always stuck in gateways, trying to deal with wet straw/hay that wont sit right loaded,losing bales etc, Trucks are hard work!! not a lot of profit, for a lot of graft! nights in the garage trying to find brake faults knowing you have got customers waiting in the Morn!

We are still forgetting the new mandatory CPC Training that involves more costs to the Haulier! Nick, well done mate, read lots of good posts about you! Hauliers deserve all the profit they get! its a hard game monopolised by the Stobarts of the world!!:thumbup1: