ms201T Performance Question

recycledsole

Hello guys,

I have an ms201t with around 10 hours. I am having an issue where when i pull the trigger the chain seems locked and doesnt spin and then it machine might turn off. As if it were out of gas. I have taken it apart and cleaned it with no improvement. Does anyone have any thoughts?

thank you very much

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got a couple of 201s and i can not fault them. Me climbers been in the game for30 years and he reckons there just as good as the 200. Ive noticed the chains do not like been run to tight as it seems to slow the engine down.

Take the bar and chain off and see if it still does it.

This has been my experience also, I really like my 201.

As you say the chain tension has to be just right, a whisker to tight and it struggles.

I think they do have a little less bottom end torque, so they need to be revving well before you start to cut, but with experience you learn how to work with the saws differing characteristics to the 200.

Lacking torque in this area of the revs can be caused by a lean low speed mix - this may well be a design feature of the saw due to emission laws and the big downer on two strokes that the world and hius wife are going through at the mo.

You could try turning the L screw anti clockwise by 1/5th turn and then speed the idle up on the normal idle speed adjustment screw to compensate for the slower revs caused by the richer mix.

It may help but am the resident expert on MS200T/020T and have only had one MS201 on my bench - gotta say most Arbs are refurbing their MS200Ts in large amounts - must have had around 15 through in 6 weeks - junk to gold refurbs!

Hello guys,

I have an ms201t with around 10 hours. I am having an issue where when i pull the trigger the chain seems locked and doesnt spin and then it machine might turn off. As if it were out of gas. I have taken it apart and cleaned it with no improvement. Does anyone have any thoughts?

thank you very much

I`ve had this with mine. Even with the loose chain. I took it back and after trying to convince me there was nothing wrong with it the dealer changed the pot and piston. It still does it but not quite as bad. I do find it very annoying. After about 20 tanks the power increases but it is still prone to sticking and stalling. I`d be interested to see how you get on.

Does everyones 201t do this or is it just a few?

I just can`t be bothered to take it back and get it looked at again.

Lacking torque in this area of the revs can be caused by a lean low speed mix - this may well be a design feature of the saw due to emission laws and the big downer on two strokes that the world and hius wife are going through at the mo.

You could try turning the L screw anti clockwise by 1/5th turn and then speed the idle up on the normal idle speed adjustment screw to compensate for the slower revs caused by the richer mix.

It may help but am the resident expert on MS200T/020T and have only had one MS201 on my bench - gotta say most Arbs are refurbing their MS200Ts in large amounts - must have had around 15 through in 6 weeks - junk to gold refurbs!

Thats a HUGE exageration, some arbs will be "refurbing" their old saws, but by no means "most":001_rolleyes:

IMO the problem with old saws is they are old, yes you can throw money at them and get the engine performance back to near new standard, but the rest of the saw is old and worn, sloppy chain brake, sloppy switches and caps.

I have a perfectly good 200t, only two years old, which I keeping for my son. My 201 need a warranty fix, so I used the 200 while the 201 was away, when I got the 201 back, I was really please to get my 201 back, I really like it (it is worth noting that mine was set up at Dick Leigh's, who is a legend in the industry)

My 201's the same - press the throttle hard down straight from tick over and nothing happens, it needs to be feathered into operation like a cold saw.

I've got 3 200's and the 201 is a disappointment in comparison. I'm just hoping it gets into it's stride in the future with more use, has anyone found this to be the case?

Thats a HUGE exageration, some arbs will be "refurbing" their old saws, but by no means "most":001_rolleyes:

IMO the problem with old saws is they are old, yes you can throw money at them and get the engine performance back to near new standard, but the rest of the saw is old and worn, sloppy chain brake, sloppy switches and caps.

I have a perfectly good 200t, only two years old, which I keeping for my son. My 201 need a warranty fix, so I used the 200 while the 201 was away, when I got the 201 back, I was really please to get my 201 back, I really like it (it is worth noting that mine was set up at Dick Leigh's, who is a legend in the industry)

Judging by "what's on you bench today?" There is no HUGE exaggeration :laugh1:

You do relise that the 201 does need a retune after so many hours from new...

I have seen and talked to a lot of climbers who say there's are low powered, but they havnt taken then back to be retuned.

I would say a lot of climbers are refurbishing there old 200s. If only to keep them going long enough to wait out for the new husky.