SRT rope anchoring

Steve Bullman

It requires an ability to cleanly snare a TIP without any limbs in the way.Apart from that it seems good method which i recently used when climbing up to some big outer limbs on a large White Gum ( E viminarlis).

Sure, and if you've achieved that then you could just as well footlock. Tieing off at the base is suitable for awkward trees when you can't isolate a branch.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what SRT gear did you buy then?

If you tie of at the bottom to a lowering device for rescue you need a rope more than 3 times the height of your anchor point (or a joined rope) and it doubles the loading on the anchor.

Seems like a running bowline choked to the anchor is the simplest. When you footlock there doesn't seem to be the need for a built in rescue system.

I would love to have a proper go at SRT I think in my fantasy system I would tie my VT and sit the pulley above the chest ascender (not clipped to me). I would choker the climbing line to the branch with a caribener through the eye. then when you get to the top you ditch all the Srt gear and your VT is already on the line ready to go.

Will

Good points. Especially the fact that we don't set up a rescue for a footlock line.

I get what your saying about using your climbing rope, but SRT works better with a more static line and it is still best practice to leave that lin ein the tree for rescue and work off a seperate line.

As far as double loading is concerned, yes this is true but, if the line is going over many branches as it goes through the crown then it may be safer than isolating a single branch for footlock or runnign up a bowline for srt.

i dont personally like the idea of having ropes left in trees that im not using. the idea of leaving an srt line in for access is all well and good, but if it were needed, a. i'd have all the srt gear in the tree with me, and b. no one i work with would know how to srt even if they did have the gear.

You could leave the gear on the line, it could get lowered to be re used by some one else, but I agree that its unlikely you would have another srt pro on the ground!

(I use the term "pro" loosely of course!)

You should have a system in place for rescue of some sort, if not srt then whatever the aerial rescue person of the day prefers. An srt line, not over an isolated branch, could be used to pull up a Ddrt system but havign a pulley on one end and the new system running through that pulley.

A footlock line (over an isolated branch) could be used a footlock line or could be a simple Ddrt sytem quite easily by adding a prussik knot. Even a very climber should be able to do a rescue fron this set up.

Sending a running bowline up a line to create an SRT system that is not anchord at the base is a bit limiting in terms of rescue possibilities.

Yes, I have a dedicated rope (or three) for access purposes. However it would be fine for soemone to add a prusik and use it as a normal climbing line for a rescue.

i have looked at this when i first started to use srt and did ask the question about the rescue whether by a groundsman or a climber. after looking at the pros and cons of both i have settled for a groundsman rescue because of how easy and instantanious it can be. as long as u have a groundsman who is competant of understanding ur lowering rig then it is alot easier because if u have a reason for a rescue then he can get lowering u within a minute but if he has to climb this could take minutes. i tried some rescues towards the end of last year and only rescuing from about 10ft this took me no quicker than 5minutes.

the rig i have settled on is a pirana decender and a prussic back up. this is all mounted on a rigging paw so i have enough attachment points and clarity of what is where. some may look at it as ott but i find it works well and is a reliable system. i will put some photos up when i get my camera sorted.

i have found this system to be a reliable one and a easy one for a groundie to understand and takes a matter of minutes to show anyone who is on ur site. there are so many issues in srt and footlocking and access in general we cant ever please everybody. it can be a financial burden but one i have found well worth the investment.

hope this helps answer any of the questions and adds some ideas to the pot.

You could leave the gear on the line, it could get lowered to be re used by some one else, but I agree that its unlikely you would have another srt pro on the ground

Know what your saying, the main issue is that SRT is hardly used in the UK because the trees are so small. When I worked in Washington DC of the 6 climbers in our office 6 used SRT without even thinking about it, the most basic system, pantin and Petzl right hand ascender with micro grap backup above the ascender. rope was always tied off with bowline at base of tree, no isolating on branch and running the bow up the tree. We were all using SRT cause the work demanded it, climbing much bigger trees on a daily basis. We dont have work like that in the UK, which is why SRT is only used by a few enthusiasts.

Edited by scotspine1