SRT rope anchoring

Steve Bullman

Not that my ground crew is bad, its just that there's no need for the belay device at the base of the tree as I wont ever need rescued while SRTing, what situation would you need rescued whilst SRTing anyway?

I know what you mean Tim... SRT rescue is pretty unlikely but perhaps equipment failure / dropping - general muscular problems? It was what was recommended in an SRT workshop by Treevolution at Cirencester in the summer. With the guys I'm working with, I personally wouldn't bat an eye at them lowering me - lucky I guess.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean Tim... SRT rescue is pretty unlikely but perhaps equipment failure / dropping - general muscular problems? It was what was recommended in an SRT workshop by Treevolution at Cirencester in the summer. With the guys I'm working with, I personally wouldn't bat an eye at them lowering me - lucky I guess.

We've been through this. The conlusion of this rescue (are you talking about the rescuer ascending the same srt line as the climber?) was that, although it was possible, it was not practical. a. because the rescuer would have to be chris cowell or else your dead, and b. he would need 200 quids worth of spare stuff with him to make the rescue.

Which, if it were chris cowell then you'd be ok cos he's always got at least 200 quids worth of spare gear with him but you get my point!

Of course, if everyones happy then set it up.

It should be the norm, its a very easy thing to do - setting up a simple rescue system for SRT, but anyone whose used a gri gri or Stop for that kind of belaying will know they are anything but smooth on the descent.

Someone was asking what's SRT?

- http://www.spadout.com/w/ascension-systems/

Which, if it were chris cowell then you'd be ok cos he's always got at least 200 quids worth of spare gear with him but you get my point!

Yeah but he'd be wearing a Treemotion right? the SWL is 100kgs, two climbers descending on a single line are gonna be well over that.

Going back to anchoring I've used SRT a bit but more playing about in the garden and down mine shafts rather than doing any proper work. For me I loop over a high branch anchor to the base of the tree if there are no others near by or an adjacent tree/anchor if there is.

At a recent mine shaft I went down the anchor point was about 50m from the shaft which made it interesting as to make up the distance meant using a dynamic rope as well as a static. Makes ascending interesting as there is a huge amount of bounce but that shouldn't be a problem in arb work.