SRT rope anchoring

Steve Bullman

Hey Steve,

Myself and a few colleagues are in the middle of doing the very same thing... practice day on Sat on 130' Corsicans... practice for a tall tree project we've got coming up (weather permitting we'll crack 3 x 210'+ trees in 5 days!).

One of the team is an SRT instructor and we're reckoning on using a gri gri at the base in case of the need for rescue (far quicker, safer and easier than rescuing off the SRT line). This sytem does depend on having a few decent branches to send the SRT line over... We're going to attempt to guide the throwline over the 3rd or 4th set of branches first and wrap it - and then the rope - around as much of the stem as possible to increase friction and security.

Hope this helps... would of course be interested to hear how other guys approach this.

Out of interest, the setup we'll be using will be TreeFlex / Cresto harnesses / Petzl Secur / Ascension with dynamic attachment rope and a footloop, all backed up by a Micrograb / Croll / Pantin.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a more efficient technique used for long ascents into the canopy, I think it originated as a caving technique. Essentialy you secure a static line into the tree and use equipment to climb the single length of rope as apposed to the mechanical advantage used most commonly in the double rope technique (both ends attached to the climber - rope running up over the branch).

An SRT ascent would see the climber in a more upright position almost walking up the rope.

Thats kind of it anyway...!

Steve, it depends on your ground crew! Who your working with. If you don't trust them to lower you on a gri gri then just tie the srt line of at the base with a half hitch and running bow line. Just like a rigging line.

Keep sharp objects, and not so sharp groundies, away from the tree until you've tied in as normal!

I would think anchoring the rope at the bottom of the tree, through either a Gri-gri or an 8. Then in the event of an emergency you could be lowered to the ground, as long as your ropes long enough.

Martin

if using a gri gri or a capstan they should both be backed up as they are not fail to safe either for when your on them and when lowering down.

A prussick as well would be ideal or a kliemiest with a sling either is very simple to add and makes the system much safer

Steve, it depends on your ground crew! Who your working with. If you don't trust them to lower you on a gri gri then just tie the srt line of at the base

Agree with that Rupe, I've never once used a gri gri, grillion, figure 8, Petzl Stop or mini portawrap(probably the best option) for that technique, I just wouldnt trust the ground crew to get me to the ground safely. Not that my ground crew is bad, its just that there's no need for the belay device at the base of the tree as I wont ever need rescued while SRTing, what situation would you need rescued whilst SRTing anyway?

with a half hitch and running bow line. Just like a rigging line.

Whats the half hitch for? always just use a plain running Bow.

Its all very good if your working with a team who have practiced that kind of rescue. Basic arial rescue ticket does not include that kind of thing and many freelance climbers work with different poeple every day.

If you climb a tree using a ladder and alternate rope technique then you would expect to be rescued that way too? If you want to do srt/footlocking/jet pack or whatever, you should still expect that if you get rescued the likely hood is it will be via ladder and alternate rope technique so its not a requirement to set up some fancy rescue system.

Of course, if everyones happy then set it up.