Rat Control (or rather elimination)

TimberCutterDartmoor

I have a very annoying and clever rat in one of my sheds. I've been setting a Fenn trap for it, baited with Nutella. It's cocked and set right on the edge of the catch - I reckon if I walk up and down too hard I'll trigger it, but somehow it keeps being licked clean, yet the trap doesn't go off. I couldn't do it, so I have no idea how the rat is!

I'd rather trap it as I have barn owls around.

Alec

Try putting the bait in a bit of the wifes stocking,drill the trap plate & tie the stocking ball to it,they will set it off then.:sneaky2::biggrin:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a very annoying and clever rat in one of my sheds. I've been setting a Fenn trap for it, baited with Nutella. It's cocked and set right on the edge of the catch - I reckon if I walk up and down too hard I'll trigger it, but somehow it keeps being licked clean, yet the trap doesn't go off. I couldn't do it, so I have no idea how the rat is!

I'd rather trap it as I have barn owls around.

Alec

ive got the same rat and same trap and same bait in my shed! wildlife cam revealed it was a mouse and too light for the tread to spring so feeding it to make heavier and one day it will get caught out:thumbup:

Poison every time, use bait dispensers AND bank cash bags filled with poison that are the stuffed down rat holes WITH A STICK.

Dont forget that rats can carry Weils disease, this can be fatal to humans if it enters the blood stream perhaps through a cut. So always wear gloves when messing about with rats.

Have occasionally trimmed them up with a 22LR semi when waiting for something else to turn up. Had a stoat in a rat hole one morning, rats running everywhere, went through a banana mag in no time then the stoat appeared and was added to the bag.

A

Edited by Alycidon

Thanks for your comments - good thing this is an internet forum rather than a face-to-face conversation as talking with my very sore tongue would be difficult:001_tt2:

Close inspection in the area this evening reveals that I do indeed have both a first strike mouse, that gets in and nicks the Nutella, and a rather slower rat that then doesn't have anything worth eating and hence doesn't bother walking on my nice trap.

I could go for the 'wait until the mouse is heavy enough to set the trap off' approach, but I resent feeding it that much Nutella, so I think two traps will be set, side by side in a 'his and hers' configuration.

Alec

Thanks for your comments - good thing this is an internet forum rather than a face-to-face conversation as talking with my very sore tongue would be difficult:001_tt2:

Close inspection in the area this evening reveals that I do indeed have both a first strike mouse, that gets in and nicks the Nutella, and a rather slower rat that then doesn't have anything worth eating and hence doesn't bother walking on my nice trap.

I could go for the 'wait until the mouse is heavy enough to set the trap off' approach, but I resent feeding it that much Nutella, so I think two traps will be set, side by side in a 'his and hers' configuration.

Alec

PMSL! :lol::lol::lol:

Oh, and try squishing a sultana onto the pin of the trap- I've only had it nicked twice in the last month, and had over a dozen confirmed mouse kills. Lately I've been running through a litter of young rats in the bigger trap- they're easy as they're still dumb!