Doing your own lowering.

Le Sanglier

Just wondering, normally, on a lowering job, I lower the limb myself using handy stubs for friction, I find this keeps the groundy free to deal with the material with two hands. Really big stuff we use a third bloke and a friction device.

Do many others do this or is this too "Flintstones"

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering, normally, on a lowering job, I lower the limb myself using handy stubs for friction, I find this keeps the groundy free to deal with the material with two hands. Really big stuff we use a third bloke and a friction device.

Its old school and what worked then works now:thumbup1:

You dont need to do the entire lower yourself, the groundy can manage the ropes while you cut then you can take over to free both hands up for them.

Its old school and what worked then works now:thumbup1:

You dont need to do the entire lower yourself, the groundy can manage the ropes while you cut then you can take over to free both hands up for them.[/quote

Understood; I find that if you take charge of the whole thing it runs smoother. (Emphasisng not really big stuff!)

Always doing it. With two of us working while one man's dealing with the last piece the other is on its way down. Def not 'Flintstones'. Job gets done.

Thinking about it (he said warming to his theme) it also cuts out a lot of the shouting and hand signals as there is no need to suggest amount of wraps or leave a bit of slack so it drops out of the way. My groundy whilst excellent at tidying up and goes all day without a grumble dislikes the dramatic nature of rigging, so it avoids all the tantrums and over cautious wrapping.

i dont do much climbing any more mostly work out of a MEWP but a mini portawrap works ok for small lowering.just have to make sure that the rope is wrapped so the device wont twist around the wrong way.or use a swivel to stop that

Do it a lot quicker no shouting. Did a job before Christmas driver of car mouning about are cones were to far out in the road, I had a limb rope at the time so when he was talking to groundy lowered the limb right in to middle of road then he saw the reason why after a bit more ranting though.