how old is to old ?

jimbomags

Happy New Year and welcome to the forum. 46, been cutting for 2 years and climbing 6 months. Fitter now than I've ever been.

Took all the training and experience I could get and made sure I've got the insurance to back it up.

You're not too old and its worth doing it right.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your not too old for sure . ( Me 60 ) The thing is we can all do stuff but to pass you need to do it "their way " I have been driving since I was 14 (17 legally on road ) and back then I passed my test first time but I doubt I would pass one now . What I am saying is you must be prepared to " uin learn " some things and learn to do them the way the tickets want them don if only to pass . So you may need some "training " even if you are compitent if you see what I mean .

Best money you will / can ever spend is on training , open's doors , you can be the best but when they want to see that bit of paper you have to have it.

I've spent some money in 2012 , forklift driving , cherry picker , wood chipper all done.

Best of luck.

Happy new year.

As a 49 year old I can say that if I had to get up every day and go and climb for someone else rain or shine to keep my job then no, I couldn't do it.

I can, as a small business, cancel if the weathers bad, my back hurts (like today)If you are 50 working as an employee up a tree every day to keep the wolf from the door you took a wrong turn somewhere.

I have a mate in the Uk who had a climber of around 35, quick,reliable etc. This bloke had a couple of kids and a demanding missus, he was paid a good whack around 120 quid a day (over 10 years ago) he left for a better paid job in a factory, sick pay, paid holidays, no cancelled rain days.

That's where the majority of people go, to safer, securer, easier jobs. Luckily (or unluckily!) there are droves of youngsters to replace them.

Edited by Le Sanglier

Your are asking guys and girls who do it by the book, everyday we jump through hoops, pay for insurances and training, this is all money we could stick in our pocket and hope for the best.

We don't , we pay our taxes, collect vat, offer employment and put money back into our community.

We get undercut by the have a go guy everyday, the full timers doing a weekender with the company kit.

Who's to say you will pass your tickets, it might not be £1500 well spent, 20 years of doing it your way and you might not be good or safe enough.

Are you man enough to step up to the plate?

Welcome to the forum, it's the first step in the right direction.

Happy new year :)

till i came on this forum i hardly knew about all the training required. I only realised recently when i read through my public liability documents carefully that i'm not covered for tree work of any kind. I can demolish a 3 storey building but cant cut a tree down?? i've had no demolition training either but still insured for that.

I dont consider myself an expert with a chainsaw just learnt over the years how to be safe while using. I've only ever felled a few small trees in gardens i've maintained and cut logs from fallen timber for my woodburner.

I dont consider myself the have a go hero type , thats why i was asking whether people think its worth getting certs for someone my age. i have a big mortgage so dont want an uninsured accident.

the general opinion seems to be to go for it so it looks like i need to save some pennies,get my certs then some kind soul on here could possibly give me a little experience.

thanks for your comments and all the best for 2013

Is that through lack of work around or just because you dont enjoy? almost £1500 for certs at moment is a lot of money to me. I enjoy working with trees but struggling with spending that kind of money if it cant be recouped

just because of the strain it puts on the body IMO, I have been a career climber since I was 21 (after my 3 years city and guilds) and although its rewarding its also very hard work.