Seeking advice on pulling tree with tractor...

swinny

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me that prefers to attach line to front of tractor rather than rear.

I was going to ask the same question. Much better to reverse as the rear wheels will stay on the ground, lower gearing & you can see exactly what's going on whilst still in the best driving position.

It also reduces the risk of getting hit by the cable if it snaps or the tree if your line is to short.

it will go where ur hinge is pointing

Unless the rotation of the tree about the hinge has stressed the hinge fibres beyond their bend strength before the CofG of the tree is above the hinge, in which case it will tear out where the weight is. This is why the pull needs to be through a point above the hinge and the CofG or use a second restraining rope.

Usually acceleration due to gravity is far higher than a winch pull can keep up.

if you are using wire rope on a winch the best to get is called lang's lay its all about how they wind the rope when making it its the only rope to use on drag lines etc with big winches

I disagree, Langs lay is for cranes and draglines where both ends are constantly restrained, it gets in a mess if one ind is loos on a log. It has good wear characteristic.

If you look at a wire rope suitable for skidding it will have the outer strands parallel to the axis of the rope, choose one with large outer wires and avoid the stronger ones that have thin strands incorporated to better fill the core, they break and spike the fingers. Langs lay feels more flexible but if you look at the lay of the outer wires they are diagonal to the axis of the rope.

Ah but!

the lugs on Ag tyres are optimised:001_tt2: for pulling in the correct:001_tt2: direction!

Ok one can see better, and indeed the rear will stay down

But?

how is reverse lower geared??

In the correct direction they are self clearing so better on soft ground. On hard ground it make no difference. If the ground is that soft you need self clearing tyres then your already in trouble.

As far as I am aware all reverses are lower geared than 1st gear on all vehicles.

I know on my two tractors I go much much slower in reverse than in the lowest forward gear.

Just thought.

If you have a shuttle gear box then forward & reverse gearing will be the same!! i have pulled over many bigish trees with a range of different tractors and pulling equipment. so fhar i have seen a rope to the front of a tractor snap luckely their was wedges in the back cut so it stood up while we sorted the problem! i have seen a wire rope to the back of a tractor pulling a big tree with a slite back lean over and it caused the tractor to spin all over but driver dident stop and it came over as planned but that could of gone ither way! the one that i use and has not let me down yet is climb to set a chocker chain arround the tree to a winch cabel and a winch on back of tractor dug into the ground, can't go wrong!! but don't forget theirs always a first time :)

Ah but!

the lugs on Ag tyres are optimised:001_tt2: for pulling in the correct:001_tt2: direction!

Ok one can see better, and indeed the rear will stay down

But?

how is reverse lower geared??

Ag tyres are optimised for doing least damage to the crop while travelling forward which means rotating in the direction were the tyre is self cleaning. If you want maximum traction then reverse will give you more. Why do you think it is better to reverse out when stuck rather than carry on going forward.