Chainsaw trousers Type A or Type C

landyman

More and more ppl I know are going for trousers that just have front protection. Nice idea, very light trousers but I cant help but feel more vulnerable without the all round protection. I need to get a new pair of trousers soon but should I move with the times and get type A's or stick with what I know and keep the all round protection?

My main concern with just front protection is that if you catch it with the saw it will pull the trouser leg round and expose an unprotected part of the trouser.

Discuss please.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

touchy subject on arbtalk , i've always climbed in type a trousers as its not really possible to climb in type c's in nz summers due to the heat . I know alot of people think differently. you would have to be cutting inbetween your legs for it to catch then expose , the cover of the protection is pretty good but this also depends on make , some have lower calf protection aswell. let the fireworks begin :P

My first pair of trouser i bought where type a's but since i was on the college course i had to go out and get a set of c's. ive never worn thise a's, but for piece of mind ive carried on wearing my c's in anything i do. They can get hot in the summer but extra water breaks i just carry on. I know the class 2 type c's are even warmer so for piece of mind and being comfortable in what ur used to id stick with the class 1 type c trousers. Also im sure u can get type c's with extra venterlation, but ive always stayed with the stihl's and never had a problem

I have climbed in Cs for 8 years and for the last 3 climbed in As...yes you are more more vulnerable in As but i think you know you cant cut any corners at all! and thats helps.

Thay are a LOT cooler too, like most things its down to good work positioning.

More and more ppl I know are going for trousers that just have front protection. Nice idea, very light trousers but I cant help but feel more vulnerable without the all round protection. I need to get a new pair of trousers soon but should I move with the times and get type A's or stick with what I know and keep the all round protection?

My main concern with just front protection is that if you catch it with the saw it will pull the trouser leg round and expose an unprotected part of the trouser.

Discuss please.

If your happy in C's and don't find they cause you problems, why change?????

Because I'm a good boy and play by the rules, I generally wear the type C's for climbing and type A for ground, but if it's really hot (rare in this part of the world) I'll wear the type A's for going up a tree, and if it's really cold, like the cold snap in the last couple of weeks, I'll wear the type C's on the ground. Depends what you're comfortable with. It's got to be pretty rare that you're in a position to cut the back of your leg with the saw if you're doing everything right.