Butchery

Highland Forestry

I've just got back from France and I was amazed how many trees are Pollarded and it got me thinking is it just a Britsh thing about not pollarding trees.

The only difference is they were all well maintained.

It must provide loads of work for the local Tree surgeons. It has sort of swayed my mind a little form being adamently against it. But the main reason for being against it is the lack of maintenance over here after it has been done.

Very good point Dean.

I aways stress to people that they MUST be re cut in the next 3 to 5 years maximum.

Often fall's on deaf ears though :thumbdown:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Educate the client if you can't don't press the matter shut up and get on with it withtin reason. I have walked away from some really horrrific requests because i didn't want to damage the reputation of my business.

Press the matter to hard and the client will nod and agree while your there quoting but just use someone else when your gone !

Surely there has to be some middle ground on this topic.

If you are an Arborist you are in it for different reasons but what is wrong with walking away from a job after trying to inform the customer about tree care?

Is the job all about killing trees Skyhuck?:crying: I thought it was about judgement and keeping trees where possible by pruning as a last resort so we can exist with trees and not bannish them from our streets.

I am not supporting 'grassing customers up ' but there are exceptions when some idiot buys a house with 700 yr old tree and cuts it down because he wants a trampoline.

Just because thereis not alot of work around in some areas is not reason enough to cut anything down. Where will that get us?:confused1:

Well said that man

Tony

Edited by Tonythetree
Spelling errors

To be perfectly honest it's about as bad as I have ever seen a tree. Gum trees are not the easiest to keep in shape without hacking, a bit like the birch. The choice is some gentle tip crotching or reduce the crap out of it and go back next year to take some of the shoots out and the following year again :-) Job for life mate

Thats the sort of tree we spot and laugh at but I expect somewhere in our beginnings everyone has one of those. Not me though... not that's photographed anyway

To be perfectly honest it's about as bad as I have ever seen a tree. Gum trees are not the easiest to keep in shape without hacking, a bit like the birch. The choice is some gentle tip crotching or reduce the crap out of it and go back next year to take some of the shoots out and the following year again :-) Job for life mate

Thats the sort of tree we spot and laugh at but I expect somewhere in our beginnings everyone has one of those. Not me though... not that's photographed anyway

ha easy! well bit leggi bit snappy you no how it is!

597653cd12759_trees011.jpg.f9cda0e72a30c693308af1eb4604e1f7.jpg

597653cd10131_trees010.jpg.17824469fe101009fd42eb59b3bca6f1.jpg

Heres my 2 penneth worth.

I have a keen passion for all things tree related, from climbing up them, to furniture made from them etc etc. I got this passion that builds more each day from a job cutting/killing them. This was described to me once as being somewhat "ironic".

Now, working with trees earns me money, which keeps my family well fed and happy. In order to keep the money coming in, I have to do a good job, which involves being proffesional, and knowing what I'm talking about. The people who i work for dont always have this passion. Im happy knowing that they are aware of "best practice". If they choose not to go to listen then I would have to think long and hard before I walked away from a job, I.e location? 200 yards away form Kew Gardens and I wouldnt have dreamed of doing that to a Euca or In the middle of a council estate I probably would have. I would have asked to prune / reduce to my spec first and if not happy would do whatever they wanted.

I would not ever go behind their back and inform a t/o like that. anyway, what t/o would bang an emergency tpo on a euca like that???? NONE. haha.

How bout this dilemma, you "grass" on a client for trying to get you to remove a mature tree, then the t/o goes down and no action is taken and no tpo given. the customer is bemused but doesnt know it was you who "grassed" them , so asks again if you would fell it?? Do you?? Could you?? I mean morally NO.haha