a nice cut for hung trees

dadio

I think S. Bullman has one up somewhere also.

Do indeed Tim.

I did the climbing on this job and Andy Collins took on the fell. It's really not quite as dangerous as it appears. We had a very large John Deere on a cable pulling this over 90 degrees to the direction the force was being placed on the Beech from the lodged Poplar tree, and a very thick hinge was left giving Andy time to make his retreat before pulling it with the tractor

Either way, I think Andy drew the short straw on this one :thumbup:

Edited by Steve Bullman

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously...how can you teach a method like this in the 'safest method possible', when the closing line is always going to be 'Make sure you have a clear escape route and get ready to run like hell if it goes wrong'.

These are on the job techniques which should be learnt or taught to guys when they are good and ready (if at all)

It's for sure not the safest method possible and all the comments on the thread should sway a newbie against such skills but its a technique in the locker and may come in useful in the future when experienced enough so long as the risks are identified etc.

I just think that if someone is going to attempt to do something they probably shouldn't it may be best that they know the safest way of doing that method, or at least the things they definitely shouldn't do when doing said dodgy method.

Historically yes, on the job teachings but I think that now with this internet and all it seems like slight censorship of knowledge.....

It's for sure not the safest method possible and all the comments on the thread should sway a newbie against such skills but its a technique in the locker and may come in useful in the future when experienced enough so long as the risks are identified etc.

I just think that if someone is going to attempt to do something they probably shouldn't it may be best that they know the safest way of doing that method, or at least the things they definitely shouldn't do when doing said dodgy method.

Historically yes, on the job teachings but I think that now with this internet and all it seems like slight censorship of knowledge.....

Yes totally agree - I think anyone putting tree surgery vids out should put a small narrative at the start warning of the danger etc to allow for novices/ give it a go types

As you'd expect from a training course, that's text book. How anyone can deny that this is a safer way of taking down a tree I don't know. As pointed out before the spear cut method is quicker and doesn't need to take a winch in, un-wrap wire etc. It is however undeniably more dangerous, whether you've been in the business for 30 years or 30 minutes. I was first shown how to do this in Douglas Fir thinnings where almost everything hung up, cutting 2m bits off the butt end and having the rest of the stem hurtle down past you. Its effective, but can be scary and always has an element of unpredicability about it. I would certainly not recommend it as a "nice cut for a hung tree", but like many others, have also used it many, many times. I think I would draw the line when off rooting though, too much unprecictablity in terms of tension and compression from the stem through to the root plate. Taking down a felled hung up tree is one thing, spear cutting to off root a stem is another kettle of fish, and not one I'll be going anywhere near any time soon.

As you'd expect from a training course, that's text book. How anyone can deny that this is a safer way of taking down a tree I don't know. As pointed out before the spear cut method is quicker and doesn't need to take a winch in, un-wrap wire etc. It is however undeniably more dangerous, whether you've been in the business for 30 years or 30 minutes. I was first shown how to do this in Douglas Fir thinnings where almost everything hung up, cutting 2m bits off the butt end and having the rest of the stem hurtle down past you. Its effective, but can be scary and always has an element of unpredicability about it. I would certainly not recommend it as a "nice cut for a hung tree", but like many others, have also used it many, many times. I think I would draw the line when off rooting though, too much unprecictablity in terms of tension and compression from the stem through to the root plate. Taking down a felled hung up tree is one thing, spear cutting to off root a stem is another kettle of fish, and not one I'll be going anywhere near any time soon.

Firstly... physics don't change... the predictability of tension and compression does't change either.. if you know the physics, you can read the tension just like anything else in this business... And its pretty simple once you understand what to look for..

Secondly there are risks associated with the winch and roll technique.. you could break your ankle carrying all that gear through rough terrain, shake a widow maker loose above the anchor tree, dull your saw, and scratch your finger with the file... My method works every time. When I cut the tree, I know what its going to do, every time... and it will drop straight down, away from me every time..Its extremely predictable... Why would so many other people say its not???? I can only guess... but it doesn't matter.. because while you all are fiddling around with all that gear and trimming you hinges etc.. my tree's on the ground in under 2 minutes..

"The only rule that really matters is what a man can do and what he can't"... Captain Jack Sparrow

Fell the one it's hung up on, jobs a good un :biggrin:

Just had a guy killed in Rotorua doing exactly that. First Pine he felled got hung up in a second. He walked over to the second tree and put in his gob and back cut while standing right under the hung up tree. He didn't get from under it in time.