Customers Moaning

philg

Its alot easier & less stress just to give up on trying to find seasoned wood. Just always count on having to season it @ home when it arrives ,thus try to plan well ahead when buying. :001_smile:

Then if the rare load does arrive seasoned its like an extra bonus. Also hopefully then you wouldn't end up having to burn the over 30% moisture wood that was just delivered as seasoned etc.

Understand this isn't an answer for you if don't have the storage space though. :001_rolleyes:

Suppose this is why people pay loads for kiln dried.

Edited by face cord

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have over the last few years tried to educate my loyal customers into buying wood in the summer and before they run out in winter, this way the wood I deliver is put in the storage area/shed/garage etc and is dry when needed. My cord ( birch/ash,beech/sycamore) is left in lengths and cut to order, it is at least 18 months old and even on a wet day once split is lovely and dry in the middle. Some times even its is a bit damp it drys up when left in a well vented area.

I have a small barn which is used to store logs in and sheds made in my yard which I split my tree surgery timber into, this is all nice and dry. I really can't be arsed dealing with a customer who from the moment you arrive with Thor wood is moaning, is that all to get for £80! Are you sure it's hard wood. I just look after my decent customers and the others can take a hike:)

This type of "bad" customer is the reason why I don’t bother with firewood any more.

One of my last "customers" picked and poked and ummed and ahhed till I simply refused to tip the load, he then told his mates how he had beaten me down on price for the best load of firewood he ever bought.

There are plenty of log suppliers here and plenty of competition and I can do much better without the aggro

Its alot easier & less stress just to give up on trying to find seasoned wood. Just always count on having to season it @ home when it arrives ,thus try to plan well ahead when buying. :001_smile:

Then if the rare load does arrive seasoned its like an extra bonus. Also hopefully then you wouldn't end up having to burn the over 30% moisture wood that was just delivered as seasoned etc.

Understand this isn't an answer for you if don't have the storage space though. :001_rolleyes:

Suppose this is why people pay loads for kiln dried.

Where abouts in wales are you face cord?

I have over the last few years tried to educate my loyal customers into buying wood in the summer and before they run out in winter, this way the wood I deliver is put in the storage area/shed/garage etc and is dry when needed. My cord ( birch/ash,beech/sycamore) is left in lengths and cut to order, it is at least 18 months old and even on a wet day once split is lovely and dry in the middle. Some times even its is a bit damp it drys up when left in a well vented area.

I have a small barn which is used to store logs in and sheds made in my yard which I split my tree surgery timber into, this is all nice and dry. I really can't be arsed dealing with a customer who from the moment you arrive with Thor wood is moaning, is that all to get for £80! Are you sure it's hard wood. I just look after my decent customers and the others can take a hike:)

Delivered 4 2 cube loads today all the same wood 18% on inside all fine bar one woman or couldn't believe how damp the wood was, been on trailer overnight so yes damp. I kept gob shut and took the money. One of the others had been sold the same softwood by someone else but thought it was hardwood!

I think Felix understood my comment.

My local advertising rag has lots of adverts for firewood, all offering seasoned mixed hardwood logs.

Until I see the logs, I have no idea who is selling bone dry well-seasoned wood, and who is selling damp rubbish that's been sitting in a corner of the yard for a couple of months.

So from that point of view, it's hardly worth asking over the phone.

I think Felix understood my comment.

My local advertising rag has lots of adverts for firewood, all offering seasoned mixed hardwood logs.

Until I see the logs, I have no idea who is selling bone dry well-seasoned wood, and who is selling damp rubbish that's been sitting in a corner of the yard for a couple of months.

So from that point of view, it's hardly worth asking over the phone.

Surely it is worth asking over the phone?

Is is hardwood?

Is it seasoned?

Whats the average split M/c?

I'll check the average split M/c

Go through that and most suppliers will be happy to deal, the delightful members of the travelling community selling fresh conni as seasoned hardwood won't.

You can't sell logs by weight, Oak weighs a lot more than other woods for a start.

I sell by volume and people still don't seem to grasp what 1m3 is. When they don't understand I usually just end up saying it's the same as 2 builders bags. Which it is.

Yes you can!!

In fact if the timber is dry weight is by far the best way to buy.

Weight for weight all timber gives petty much the same KWH's of heat, so a dry Oak log that weighs twice the weight of a dry pop log will give twice the heat or burn for twice as long.