What to do with this Cedar

benbound

I've got 25 tonnes of Atlas Cedar stacked in my yard from one tree. Ideally I'd ;ike to try and sell it but have no idea where to start trying to value it. I'll attach a couple of pictures, but the main stem weighs 5 tonnes and is nearly 5 feet across, the other bits are on the whole pretty staright and range from about 18 inches to three feet across.

It seems too good for firewood but is there a market for timber such as this?

20121215_144137_resized.jpg.f48b803d7eb8f69c777674329bcd5196.jpg

20121215_144119_resized.jpg.ac46b9e1d8a0f94aac479c1f2292026e.jpg

20121215_143850_resized.jpg.db36184a0a641fd7d10e7ea7cab1d49f.jpg

The trunk might be of value to some furniture makers. It is sometimes used as the back panels in cabinets or as draw bases as it gives off a good smell. The limbs might be of use to wobod turners too. So would probly be worth a phone call or two around.

Like all timber it's a shame but your easiest route is firewood...

Cedar of Lebanon is easier to sell as that's the favoured one for wardrobe backs but there is a big knot in the back of that main stem which de values the timber for proper makers.

No sawmills will be interested....

You could see if there's anyone with a portable mill or chainsaw mill nearby - offer to go halves on the timber you produce.... this will make great outdoor tables... durable and easy to work.

If you have some curved pieces there (it looks like you do) and can mill them yourself I know a framer who loves these and usually pays around £16-00 to £20-00 a cube for thick pieces i.e. just mill the middle 8" out. PM me if you want his number.

Perhaps lucas mill the main stem into posts. Cutting to 8x8 should yield in the region of 16-20 posts which would make ideal posts for a small barn or the like. Would fetch about £50 each too by my reckoning.

You could turn some of the remaining straighter sections into cladding, and then firewood the remainder to fill the newly constructed barn.

I milled quite a bit of excellent quality deodar cedar earlier in the year, and whilst it is moving, it's moving very slowly. It's kiln dried too.

Try visiting your local arts and crafts store and see if you can purchase battery powered clock works and clock face. I have used Southern Red Cedar here state side to make clocks. Cut the logs into 2 or 3" slabs and run them through a planer. Determin the center of each slab and drill your pilot hole. Rout out the backside of the slab and install the clock works and affix the numbers to the face side. I have put a coat of varnish or polyurethane over the face of these types of clocks and they make great gifts or sale items. All the best.

easy-lift guy