Westonbirt lime coppice

David Humphries

I cannot figger how if the ring of stools are all from the same tree, and are coppiced every 20 years.

Why not coppice one clump (out of 10? or thereabouts) every 2 years in rotation??

Rather than all once every 20 years.

and why use traditional methods for part of the works but finish the rest with chainsaws? I think this was probably titivation for television!

I work with Patrick who was on the programme as a 'coppice expert' and former apprentice on the coppice apprenticeship thing they run. He is a volunteer reserves officer now for NBC Wildlife Trust.

I think you maybe right about the use of traditional hand tools as a bit of tv thing, and also I think it was an opportunity to use a few skills learned, but by all accounts the Countryfile presenter was a bit of a danger with axe in hand!

As far as I know all went well, and I guess there may have been a few nerves involved, especially with TV being involved, but it has been done however many hundreds of times before, and I guess there is no reason why it won't continue to work this time and for years to come.

Lots of us coppice many stools a day / season, and I think this one was being treated as all the others, just a bit of added hype, for good reason I suppose. I have asked Patrick for his autograph, but he's being a bit reclusive about the whole thing:001_smile:

But having spent 3 years doing the coppice apprentiship at Westonbirt and now plying his trade around here, he certainly knows his stuff and is a really good guy to work with