Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

Thank you all!!

I was already planning on buying TTCC book on payday so that will definitely be a purchase and will get some rope from work and practice away. I spend a few hours every night staring blankly at the TV while our lass watches the soaps anyway so at least I'll have something to fiddle with now :laugh1:

Any more advice on what I could do to help me along with practicing the knots?

Many thanks :thumbup:

As all of the members have said practice the basic knots and hitches,you'll pick it up quicker than you think.

As for the course dont get too worried about it we all get nervous and question ourselves and have doubts,once you've had your 1st couple of climbs with the instructor and start to trust your equipment you'll start to enjoy it.

We all have to learn sometimes and pushing yourself into doing new things is character building and breeds confidence in your own abilities.

Dont sweat the small stuff...just take it slow and enjoy it.

All the best

Cheers stihl. I'm not worried about the climbing as such, just don't know if I'll be able to take all the information in as im a complete newbie! Such as knots and different techniques.

I belive the best way to learn is to just try it and learn from your mistakes but as it is an expensive training course dont want to fail and have to pay out again!

When i did my course the instructor informed us that there was a very high pass rate,

its really not difficult.One book id recommend is this one below.

If you find yourself struggling just ask the instructor to help you,i mean your paying him to teach you so im sure he/she will be more than happy to give you a bit of extra help.We had a girl on our course who was an ecologist and had to learn to climb to get to bat roosts,she really struggled but the instructor and assessor got her through it.

As i said before just practice in the evenings and look through your books.

You"ll pass no worries

Oh and learn the 5 steps of risk assessment,that will def come up.

1452199801563.jpg.51c24c4925db462c50b04745e15eac76.jpg

Edited by stihlmadasever

Thanks again. Sure I'd stop worrying once I actually started the course and got learning in a real live situation, also ive got plenty of time to practice the knots at home and read the books.

All the advice given on here has been great and made me more determined to get my CS 38 / 39 tickets, thanks guys + girls :thumbup::001_smile:

Hi guys, I have no experience of climbing at all either in an arboriculture role or just as a hobby but im wanted to get my CS 38/39 tickets. My problem isn't with the climbing but with the ropes, making knots etc. I'm not very good at tieing (struggle with my boot laces :D ) and keep thinking this will cause a problem on the course. I obviously know I will be shown the correct methods and such on the course but I don't know wheather it will be to much for me what with all the different climbing methods, knots, equipment used etc. Ive been trying to learn as much as I can reading the threads on here and the Internet but it doesn't compare to the real thing!

Basically I want to get the tickets but doubting my abilities, any advice? :confused1:

I always wanted to climb but cos of some very bad life choices I didn't get round to it until I had the opportunity later in life. (48)

A mate had his tickets and I used to work with him a bit and look at his knots and systems and thought "I'll never be able to get my head round these". Now I have been climbing a couple of years I have got quite good at knots. Took my rigging course and passed my Loler examiners course.

Start simple. Steve Bullman's knot app is very useful. Get familiar with a some simple knots like a bowline and the different prussicks. Take a couple of bits of old rope home and practice.

Don't be discouraged, you'll soon pick it up. If I can do it there's hope for anyone.

You'll be fine dude, my CS38 is in just over a week, and I'm nervous but mine for the actual climbing - the knots I have dialled

I was bricking it doing my CS30/31 - I had no idea what to expect but as stihl said, the instructor is there to help.

I've practised the basic knots on some old para cord for a couple of nights and it's surprising how quickly you can remember them. climbing ropes makes the whole tying process a lot easier.

Cheers. I'm definitely going to go for it now but just going to make sure I get lots of practice in with the knots before the course and read whatever books I purchase on climbing. Worst case scenario is that I fail and have to save up and do it again!