Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

with your level of experience its unlikley  your going to dazzle them with your skills so just take your time and ask questions and work safely 

your attitude , keenness and learning potential is probably what they will be looking for.

bring biscuits to share :)

good luck.

carl

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Haironyourchest said:

Know that if they let you climb, the trees will not be the same nice spreading trees that you climbed on the course. They will be partially dead, covered in ivy six inches thick, with limbs that just out at 45 degree angles so you can't limbwalk on them. Bring webbing loops for footholds, several (2) lanyards, one 5m rope and one 3m wire core. And outfit both your lanyards with micopullys and eye-to-eye hitches (distel) will save a load on energy on your arms. Extra carabiners, a throwbag, attached to a small carabiner for advancing your line and lanyards, a mini-reach telescopic hook, and so on. 

they may well pick an easy tree, id just use the gear and techniques you learnt on the course, keep it simple and dont try and rush. also just check all your gear is good to go the night before.

1 hour ago, stihlmadasever said:

Oh and dont snap the chainbrake on and off all the time,wait till saw is at low revs before engaging brake.

All good advice, thanks for that.
Don't worry, the noise of one of the other guys on the course doing that all the time drove me nuts.

58 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Be on time, be nice, be cool.

Well, two out of three isn't bad at least!

52 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

I wouldnt expect a new climber to bring any climbing kit,just ppe.

Different if he was a subby but he aint,plus the term all the gear and no idea springs to mind.

Don't worry, I'm the exact opposite... no gear, and only half an idea.

13 minutes ago, carlos said:

bring biscuits to share :)

Roger that! Custard creams and bourbon biscuits packed.

I'll move slow, steady, and safely; ask about anything I'm unsure of, and generally try not to be a twat.
Huge thanks for all the advice chaps, I'll let you know how I get on.

Anyone have advice, tried hitch climber for first time but couldn’t really get any hitches to grip. Not sure what the problem was. 10mm OP on this 13mm rope here. Tried VT, Distel and Micoachen.

Must’ve been doing something wrong. Was gripping when I was clipped in and still on the floor sitting back on it. Soon as I ascended it wouldn’t grip. Thanks. 

FEAB62E6-6E6E-4D8B-BC74-0081139B9FA2.jpeg

F0158A7A-A00D-4467-A1B1-34B7E692196D.jpeg

could be a few reasons, but in your case I think its down to a poor hitch cord/rope combination.

Good rule of thumb with hitch cords it to use a hard cord on a soft rope, and vice versa.  You are using a hard cord on a pretty hard rope(if memory serves), add into that the choice of 10mm cord rather than 8mm and you're always going to be struggling.

That being said, the OP cord is known for taking a bit of bedding in, so it might improve a bit.  I'm not a fan of the cord personally.

When you are sitting back on it whilst aloft are you doing so tentatively?  That can also make a difference.  For example if you just let go and sat back on it quickly it would probably be more likely to grip than if you ease your weight onto it.  Not an ideal situation though.

2 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

could be a few reasons, but in your case I think its down to a poor hitch cord/rope combination.

Good rule of thumb with hitch cords it to use a hard cord on a soft rope, and vice versa.  You are using a hard cord on a pretty hard rope(if memory serves), add into that the choice of 10mm cord rather than 8mm and you're always going to be struggling.

That being said, the OP cord is known for taking a bit of bedding in, so it might improve a bit.  I'm not a fan of the cord personally.

When you are sitting back on it whilst aloft are you doing so tentatively?  That can also make a difference.  For example if you just let go and sat back on it quickly it would probably be more likely to grip than if you ease your weight onto it.  Not an ideal situation though.

Thanks for the response, see I didn’t know about the soft/hard rope, cord combo this is why I’m here! Do you have any recommendations for E2E cord apart from OP? Also I read I should have 10mm if I’m using a 13mm rope should I try and 8mm next? But yes, I was sitting back on it quite slowly.  What hitch would you recommend for beginner I’ve heard a VT can be temperamental when sitting back on it possibly slipping abit which is not what i’d like atm! I currently climb on a standard Blake’s hitch DRT with my main line and a shorter secondary line for work positioning. Some days I do feel it in my elbows! 

Edited by J7G7

1 minute ago, J7G7 said:

Thanks for the response, see I didn’t know about the soft/hard rope, cord combo this is why I’m here! Do you have any recommendations for E2E cord apart from OP? Also I read I should have 10mm if I’m using a 13mm rope should I try and 8mm next? But yes, I was sitting back on it quite slowly.  

To be honest, I haven't climbed with some of the later hitch cords on the market.  Pretty sure armor prus would work well with your rope.  Others may offer better alternatives.

As with everything, the recommendations vary.  With a vt I would say 8mm would work better, other knots might well prefer 10mm

2 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

To be honest, I haven't climbed with some of the later hitch cords on the market.  Pretty sure armor prus would work well with your rope.  Others may offer better alternatives.

As with everything, the recommendations vary.  With a vt I would say 8mm would work better, other knots might well prefer 10mm

I'll get some 8mm and just try different configs to see what works for me! Thanks. 

1 hour ago, billpierce said:

Try a knut knot. Had the same as you 10mm op with 13mm yale or new England . Hitch needed setting every time. Someone suggest a knut. Works well not looked back. The op will bed in after a bit

Thanks for reply I will try this knot next time. 

Could it be that you are still holding your weight up underneath the hitch on the main line? Your technique will need to change slightly to adapt to the new system. Like Steve says, the hitch needs to be weighted for it to grip.
Going from Blake’s/prussic to HC set up often throws this problem up. Seen it happen to lots of people, starting with myself. Usually end up sag on your backside looking up at the tree...
Giving the top of the hitch a ‘tweak’ will also help it grip especially if the cord is new.
Best staying near to ground level until you’ve got it sussed.. (obviously)!