It's Quad Bike Time Again

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well picked it up today 400 in the end, to say been quite impressed with gearbox which was my main worry but not spent much time on it yet, it's getting a baptism of fire next week so will find out then if it is really up to the job. I will try and get pics tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

i have a yamaha kodiak 400.

great quad, no silly gearbox bs, it works on a belt system....

if using a quad the most important thing to remember is that braking downhill with a standard trailer is suicide, they arent great at that.

balance the load properly and it helps but be careful...

def go 400 cc plus

my few cents worth!

mate has 2 polaris 850 sportsman quads, we use them for skidding trees out and pulling a trailer, nothing seems to stop these brutes, Ive seen them working in places a 4wheel drive tractor was strugling, and on the road pull a 3 1/2 ton trailer at speeds you wouldnt believe. he says there the best quads hes ever used, they even came pre-wired for a winch fit. there one of the best selling quads in the USA so they must be not to bad

mate has 2 polaris 850 sportsman quads, we use them for skidding trees out and pulling a trailer, nothing seems to stop these brutes, Ive seen them working in places a 4wheel drive tractor was strugling, and on the road pull a 3 1/2 ton trailer at speeds you wouldnt believe. he says there the best quads hes ever used, they even came pre-wired for a winch fit. there one of the best selling quads in the USA so they must be not to bad

Your mate is a suicidal retard if he's pulling a 3.5 ton trailer, and if its on the road then I sincerely hope he gets booked. You wouldn't put anything like 3.5t behind a Corsa, and that weighs more than the quad. :001_rolleyes:

Back to the OP, how did you get on Sam? We had the volunteers working on one of the reserves recently and their 400cc 4WD Yammaha with a tiny trailer just couldn't find the traction to get up the hill. Did you experience similar or was it OK?

doobin, bit agressive with your coments there, why would he get booked on private estate roads, the guys been doing the job for years, hes not an idiot, likewise myself, some of us on here have been working in the forest/timber industries longer than some of the posters on here have been living, and with no injuries to boot, the op asked for opinions on quads, and I gave one, personally anything less than 500cc and 4wheel drive wouldnt make it a week with us, its a working tool and has to earn its keep

Are we talking 3.5 tonne loaded or empty trailers here. I only ask as I have considered a quad just to get large empty ifor trailers out the field but discounted it as a tonne of trailer was asking to much of a quad in 12 inches of mud. Looks like I may be wrong by a large margin.

Are we talking 3.5 tonne loaded or empty trailers here. I only ask as I have considered a quad just to get large empty ifor trailers out the field but discounted it as a tonne of trailer was asking to much of a quad in 12 inches of mud. Looks like I may be wrong by a large margin.

What is the taxation class of quads and their legality on the road in general?

If they are covered by a B licence and their tow hitch has a plated rating then following on from earlier discussions about cars pulling trailers it would be legal if the actual weight of the 3.5 tonne braked trailer were under the tow rating of the quad.

Well it's been a few weeks now, and have been really impressed. Pulls really well even up steep slopes in the mud pulling trailer. It will pull the 150 without to much problems but have not dared take it down any slopes or on the road. I don't think ill go back to manual gear box the epc and auto are really usable and love the a ability to select 2/4wd. I think this size quad would struggle with 1 ton trailer it's not though lack of power but weight of the quad losing grip, also the tow afar on quads is low so you would struggle to get big trailer on the back of it. The biggest problem is brakes with a quad. It if you know and respect this you lean how to drive them. Sam