Working with the ms200t a techies observation

Rich2484

Sorry if all this has been seems before and posted. Was going to do a post on what's on your bench today. But thought I would start a new thread.

So after having three 200t's on my bench over the last couple of weeks and all being stripped down to determin a fault and cause I have noticed a few "differences" between them all.

They are not far off different years of manufacture yet all have differences.

One difference I noticed was the tank breather and fuel lines. On elf the three had a separate breather at the front of the tank under the carb housing, the other two had the Y shape fuel line with a breather pipe that as its behind the air filter.

Another was the carbs, they where all different in ways that the dreaded accelerator pump was a bit different. If noone has seen these before I will get some pics up. It seemend the pump was blocked off on one but to by any techie was actually in alloy and made with the carb body.

One didn't have the pump but was not an 020 carb as far as I could make out as it had the tube at the top not a flat plate.

The flywheel nut was also different on one saw as it was a very small hex bolt with a washer behind it. Not the usual 13mm nut. Bit confusing when trying to undo it as I had to hunt for a hex key small enough.

All these differences where on each different saw. If it was one saw that was different I could understand but they had differences between them. I know manufacturers like to change a product to remove bugs and can see why differences in carb but not the flywheel or the tank breather.

Anyway I still say the ms200t is the best topper I have ever seen and once tweaked can be a very fats and powerfull little saw, I mean what other 32cc two stroke can run like that.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The breather was always a problem .. It would always get snagged and broken in the earlier models there was also some retro fit kit that was even worse fir getting snagged!in the final model they actually got the breather right! The last replacment carb I have had in mine has lasted over a year as well with only one rebuild !

Not all 200T's had the accelerator pump model of carb ,only the later in production models . Depending on where they were sold some of the later production 020T's could have a fixed main jet carb instead of a fully adjustable model .

I think but am not certain that the MS 200T was the only one that used that so called "intella carb " at least I've never seen one on an 020T .As far as nuts and bolts I can't say as I've paid much attention .

Now on a side note I recently noted differences on Stihl blowers namely the BG -85 .For some unknown reason Stihl slightly changed the throttle linkage and several other things .Why I have no idea but I suppose that's just Stihl being Stihl .

I've been "playing" with a 200t today. Stihl could have made this saw sooooo much more powerfull than it is.

Starting to think about looking into other saws and seeing what differences there are between the model years. See what upgrades they have done to eliminate the kinks.

The flywheel nut was also different on one saw as it was a very small hex bolt with a washer behind it. Not the usual 13mm nut. Bit confusing when trying to undo it as I had to hunt for a hex key small enough. QUOTE]

Ive been fixing some 200's myself today, all pretty simple stuff. Im intrigued by this different nut, ive just looked through media cat and cant find anything that it could be, it just lists the 13mm hexagon nut. Sounds like what was on very early 036 huskys.

The flywheel nut was also different on one saw as it was a very small hex bolt with a washer behind it. Not the usual 13mm nut. Bit confusing when trying to undo it as I had to hunt for a hex key small enough. QUOTE]

Ive been fixing some 200's myself today, all pretty simple stuff. Im intrigued by this different nut, ive just looked through media cat and cant find anything that it could be, it just lists the 13mm hexagon nut. Sounds like what was on very early 036 huskys.

I did think it had been put on by someone else. But then a 13mm nut isn't exactly hard to get to replace a lost one. I've also looked through the parts lists and can't find it.

stihl MS200T IPL pdf free ebook download from bricomeca.free.fr

A bit strange to just change it like that but as its been said stihl will be stihl. :biggrin:

Sorry I don't believe I've made it clear. Just re read my posts.

It was a small hex bolt. Allen key type exept hex. Took me ages to find one to undo it. It went through the centre of what would be the threaded stud part. Expet there was no outside thread only a hole with thread for the bolt and a washer. Will try and get a pic tomorrow as I still have the saw under the bench.

Sorry I don't believe I've made it clear. Just re read my posts.

It was a small hex bolt. Allen key type exept hex. Took me ages to find one to undo it. It went through the centre of what would be the threaded stud part. Expet there was no outside thread only a hole with thread for the bolt and a washer. Will try and get a pic tomorrow as I still have the saw under the bench.

I dont get it, allen keys are hexagonal