sharpening and maintenance tips for CS30

Will Cobb

to aid angle profile highlight the fileholder guide mark with a bullet point marker pen, so that it is easy to it keep straight, over the bar try to hook an arm over the saw so that you are looking along the bar rather than at right angle to it.

other than that dont rush there is plenty of time , no extra points given if your the first finished ,

spend time reading the work book,work in an orderly manner ie sharpen first then clean the bar etc etc

dont panic if you dont understand the question just ask the assessor to re phrase the question, if you forget something But remember it later during the assesment dont be afraid of tell the assessor .

We know that its a nervous experience

All the best & good luck

Iain

Edited by Yorkshireman

Mark your first cutter with chalk/yellow crayon/felt tip pen. Light, consistent file strokes. Most people have a tendency to file one side harder than the other.

Don't put the chain on backwards!

Fella on my assessment did this, examiner asked him if he was happy with the chain. Said he was. No choice but to fail him. Funny thing, the man had come in saying "I've been cutting for 20 years, why do I need a piece of paper?".

To mop the blood up?

Ace all the questions, but don't seem cocky. I was lucky on mine got all the Q's right as their pretty basic and the guy was well into the dual fuel kit on my van. During the felling and snedding (was 30 & 31) i made a few 'serious' errors and he just ignored them, even reminded me i needed to put my visor down after i started the saw.The other few i looked up to see if he'd clocked it and he was about 80ft away looking the other way so was pretty cool. back tot he point of charpening take your time and get it right they don't care if it takes you an hour+, it did for me as they gave me a f*cked college saw to sharpen and i had to take about 4mm off every tooth!! file was ruined afterwards