Having trouble finding a system that works for me

YoGi_93

I still can't find a system that works for me. I've tried a hitch climber with both VT and a distel but whatever hitch cord I use it always seems to bite off. either when I descend then stop or when I'm pulling slack in. so I tried a Prussic which works but obviously it doesn't self tend and still bites off when I descend them stop. My rope is 13mm it's a big bulky thing but I have no other choice in the matter because my boss doesn't let us use our own equipment. I'd invest in a spider jack if we could use our own gear but hey ho.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't done loads of tinkering with the vt To be honest I didn't think it would make a massive amount of difference. I think I could do with a thinner rope I agree. At the minute I'm messing around with 10mm ocean polyester and 13mm main line. I have also tried 8mm friction cord.

I haven't done loads of tinkering with the vt To be honest I didn't think it would make a massive amount of difference. I think I could do with a thinner rope I agree. At the minute I'm messing around with 10mm ocean polyester and 13mm main line. I have also tried 8mm friction cord.

It could make ALL the the difference, and you seem motivated enough to be seeking a good set-up.

Try reducing the number of wraps and possibly increasing the braids and see what happens. Even a twist in one of the hitch rope's legs can make a difference.

Remember the 'grip' of the hitch is always a compromise between secure locking under any circumstance (but accompanying resistance) and easy self-tending (which might miss an immediate grip).

The 10mm/13mm combination should be fine if the hitch is fiddled with.

Give it a try with the gear you've got before spending money on new stuff.