School work

AJarb

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If its the same old crap we used to get dont bother, if its nor for schools it will be for planning departments in the council, if not there it will be for estate agents or post offices or some other garbage they come up with.

Used to get loads of calls like that offering to get us loads of work by advertising on some poster that was getting sent to XXX,000 of house's, offices etc, dont get much of them these days, probably since they used to get some abuse from us :001_smile:

I have been contacted by a company called "Schemes". They publish booklets with tradesmens details and hand them around schools. They want a £100 for a year. Anyone had experience of this and if so is it worth it?

Think about it. They are offering a booklet to schools so the school can get quality tradesman and avoid the dodgy ones? Thats the sales pitch right?

How do the poeple who make the booklet know if you are dodgy or not? What is there experience/knowledge of what makes a good arborist? The answer is none. Its your 100 quid that gets you in the book, not your skills or qualifications.

There is a mountain of paperwork involved in doing work in schools, and even the ones that control their own spending will not use a book, sent to them without request, to choose a tradesman of any kind! Who sorts out if any of the tradesman are on the sex offenders register? Not the company taking the 100 quid thats for sure!

The booklet will go in the bin.

AJ arb. NO,NO,NO,NO NO, NO,NO & NO!!!! Do not accept anything to do with these people. I apologise for the caps but in this case I feel it necessary to put the point across. These schemers are out to fleece you, and once one has your details, you will be circulated as a soft touch to all the other schemers. Take a look at http://www.blagger.com and compare notes, and look at their form.

Do NOT answer the phone in the affirmative to questions about you, your name, as they edit tapes to then say you accepted verbally to advertise with them. Seek advice from your local Trading Standards for further info. I know this because I got caught out :blushing: and it took legal action by Trading Standards to sort the mess.

I don't know if its alright to post this but here goes. If I've broken forum rules I apologise!

If you are able to prove to ******.com that you are a competant and fully insured tradesman (this company cover chippies, sparky, builders etc) as well as holding all relevant certs etc, You pay an annual amount and they put you on their records.

All you have to do is state how far you are willing to travel, eg up to 100 miles for example. Then any customers that visit the website can type in tree services, I live in Herts, and find a list of workers that are all insured and covered, that are within their area.

It designed to ensure that everyone is above board.

I'd advise that over the leaflet, In my humble opinion.

Hope I'm alright to put this. I didn't want to write the company name in case it breaks rules. If the Mods ok it, I'll stick up a link if thats alright. If not Mods, Pm me and I can tell you the address.

Phew, Cheers

Tom:001_smile:

Listen to Andy about what the phone answer thing they try to pull, I had this just before Xmas saying "Thanks for agreeing to advertise in the Hospitals diary all we need now is your address to send the invoice to".

Yea right when ever you get a sales call never use the word yes as this is then a verbal contract. Yes you may be able to get out of it but who wants that bother.

How do the poeple who make the booklet know if you are dodgy or not? What is there experience/knowledge of what makes a good arborist? The answer is none. Its your 100 quid that gets you in the book, not your skills or qualifications.

i tell these people now when they call that i am a cowboy and operate with no certificates, insurance etc etc, and why have they chosen me....the line always goes quiet then i hang up!

and yes i am a cowboy before anyone chimes in!:001_tongue: