Hitch Hiker thread.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:001_smile:Chill Winston!! haha!!

I have to see one in the flesh to appreciate it I think. I've seen Dan Curtis climb on a Unicender and its rapid. I've been playing with solid tethers on the wrench 2 and the way that advances the hitch. I'm still at the stage where I need to actually get hold of a Hitch hiker and experiment with it before I can get my head round it if that makes sense!! Because its fairly new to the market, I think there will be an element of confusion till lots of people get to see one. There aren't many video showing the process clearly at the moment.

I can see both sides of the discussion and written text is always hard to convey feeling and meaning. But WW, just from my interpretation, some of your posts appear to come across as the Hitch Hiker is the best thing in the world and amazing (it may well be!!) and that my be where Ewan is coming from. The safety point is an important one, but in fairness, you are at the moment probably the best person to comment on that for all of us as I think you are one of the only guys on here that is using a Hitchhiker and posting on here, which is great!!. But that may be where wires are getting crossed, there are loads of people commenting on the wrench so some of it goes unnoticed whereas I think you're the only one pushing the Hitch hiker which makes it more noticable:001_smile:

I for one am enjoying this thread as I like to make sure I understand something before I get involved with it so please, neither of you stop posting as this could prove to be useful to others that aren't, maybe everyone needs to not think things on here are personal and just crack on!!

Right boys, back to your corners......

Ha ha!!:biggrin:

Mate im not trying to wind you up,

i find you some times act as if the HH is the Dogs dangleys for reasons X,Y and Z .

I hear you Ewan but I find the above comment odd because on several threads I've stated that I don't regard the HH to be better than RW or any other device, just different and it suits me better.

Mentioning the HH numerous times doesn't mean I'm saying its better.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

: but in fairness, you are at the moment probably the best person to comment on that for all of us as I think you are one of the only guys on here that is using a Hitchhiker and posting on here,

Ha ha!!:biggrin:

Thank you but DMc is really the best person as he's been using one a lot longer than me and did the R&D on the HH.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I don't think you're a HH pushing evangelist Old Mill, even if many, many others do..... :lol::lol::lol:

To be honest old fruit, I don't know what all the fuss is about.

I use hitch and wrench the same as your HH technique, ie slide it up a tensioned line.... there really seem to be only so many ways you can ascend a single line with a hitch....:001_huh:

I'd like to try a HH, but as I've only just got into the wrench [ha! famous last words!] I think I'll stick with it for a while.... So far as I can make out the principle of the two devices is identical. They both introduce a static friction bearing face into a conventional friction hitch system. Wrench above, HH below.

Plus points I can see of the HH, no fannying around making up tethers, neat and compact. Downsides [for me] tying the stopper knots into the dogbone after tying the hitch looks awkward .... er, that's about it.... apart from the reported apparent lack of choice when it comes to hitch and cord selection.... I like Beeline, but I have found it doesn't work so well on some ropes....

Live long and prosper my friend....

:cheers::biggrin:

...So far as I can make out the principle of the two devices is identical. They both introduce a static friction bearing face into a conventional friction hitch system. Wrench above, HH below.

...apart from the reported apparent lack of choice when it comes to hitch and cord selection.... I like Beeline, but I have found it doesn't work so well on some ropes....

I would like to clarify some things on these two comments. Though the end results of RW and HH are similar, the methods used to achieve those results are quite different. The RW uses a lever action that bends the line to produce enough extra friction that when combined with a hitch, or some other rope tool, the load on the hitch is quite similar to what it would experience in a doubled rope system. It has been well described as the branch that goes with you, creating a mini DdRT within the single line. Because of this, the amount of weight on the tail of the rope will alter how much force is required to move the RW. It is important to understand this variable and how to compensate for it if the weight on the line changes. If you do a search, you will find some great videos that Kevin did in documenting this aspect.

The Hitch Hiker applies force through the slots in its shell that the dogbone and carabiner slide on. The more weight, the more force. But because it does not deflect the rope, its performance is not altered from any changes in the tail rope weight. In most work situations this makes little difference but it is something to keep in mind and understand.

Hitch cord and hitch configuration recommendations were made after quite a bit of field testing. Other hitches and cords will work, some with fantastic results, but with far too many variables for a manufacturer to recommend. The thing that needs to be remembered is that any hitch or cord must produce 100% reliable grip. Many people lose sight of this in thier quest for a self-tailing system.

Sorry for the long post :blushing:

Dave