Hitch Hiker thread.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read that back and it sounds bad. I'm not inferring that the RW is the second best. It's not. I just meant that the British as a nation don't strive forwards and give something a try for fun in the same way the Americans do.

Oh dear, am I getting myself in trouble again?:blushing:

:damnmate::001_rolleyes::lol::lol:

There are a couple of guys on The Treehouse commenting that the Oxan occasionally sticks ands then frees off with a jolt. I have also found this but i'm convinced its because of how I sometimes advance the HH in relation to rope angles & body position.

Now I'm aware of it, I'm trying to figure out exactly what causes it.

Anyone else over here had the same thing?

• 2 weeks later...
Well i caved...

First impressions of the HH, Damn its heavy, its well made nice and compact, I found it a PITA to set up i dropped the bottom of it alot trying to hold the dogbone in place while tieing the cord that kept unravelling felt like i needed three hands, i dont like not having an easy way of advancing the HH, found that it slided up really nicely for the first few advances then my neck elastic would not shift it. Teding slack with it is weird sometimes it wouldnt budge then others it would feel really easy i understand regarding technique used to do it is different but i feel the RW just does it better there are more options regarding slacktending, I liked the fact there isnt anything above the hitch, i found it smooth for descent which was good. I hate the Dogbone not being able to use or tie e2es i think is a bit stupid i have had situations were i needed to retie cord and being able to quickly switch out my cord has been useful.

How are you finding it now you've had it a little while?

Back to the problem of the HH sicking when moving to ascend the rope.

PCTREE suggested I look at the area of contact between the HH and the Oxan biner. There was indeed a slight bump which I have smoothed off but it didn't make any difference.

I have since paid particular attention to everything and I'm now convinced that the reason for the problem is due to the angles that I subject the equipment to.

Mine only ever sticks on the rare occasion that I tend slack by lifting the tail up to advance the HH. This action turns the Oxan from it's design angle of verticle to an angle around 45 degrees towards me. This means that my harness is pulling the Oxan into the spine side of the HH while my arm tending slack is trying to pull the Oxan in the opposite direction. At this point my harness wins because it was holding the Oxan before my arm lifted.

Also, my slack tending arm is turning the HH out to the side slightly whilst the Oxan is being held straight by the harness, thus introducing a twist.

The HH was not designed to be used this way (I think) and it functions like polished glass if I tend slack by sliding the HH up the rope. I should add though, that if tending slack by lifting the tail, the Oxan biner only sticks 1% of the times.

My conclusion is that this is a non issue and is due to a technique variation.

Happy days.