bit of a strange one

Alasdair

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you need full insurance public and employers, unless your worker is a member of the family theory being he wont sue you. but this will open a can of worms no doubt but its what i have been told.

as for price, its whatever you want.

you might get it accepted you might not

you might make money maybe you wont.

you will have to declare it to the tax man

does your boss let you do other work?

Edited by Stephen Blair

IMO I would get full insurance first, also a bit more experience first you said your a bit rusty haven't climbed for a while in another thread? (Correct me if i'm wrong). It's a risky business and if goes wrong it can really go wrong, I know it's nice to have the extra cash, experience comes in handy in those sticky situations.

Start out doing simple little jobs like hedge cutting, its easy, you need minimal equipment, there's hardly any rubbish to take away and you'll get more work out of it. I still cut hedges I was cutting 5 years ago when I started on by own. Plus insurance for garden maintenance will cover you up to 4 meters and will cost next to nothing.

You dont have to start with big dismantles, taking out small cypresses and pruning fruit trees are all good money in relation to the work involved.

As for money work out your costs as best you can on a daily basis, then add the amount you want to earn. Then double it.

this is me sticking my neck on the block.i know that the vast majority of users on here are self employed or run a business. I know that everyone should have insurances when running a company to protect everyone involved. but come on! have you guys never hommered, hobbled, worked on the side when you were working for some outfit who paid you F all! lets have some honesty! if you said yes to the last question then you will probably say no to the next. did you have full public liability insurance.:ohmy:

this is only my opinion and i don't care if it shocks but this is real life paying bills stuff!:sneaky2:

this is me sticking my neck on the block.i know that the vast majority of users on here are self employed or run a business. I know that everyone should have insurances when running a company to protect everyone involved. but come on! have you guys never hommered, hobbled, worked on the side when you were working for some outfit who paid you F all! lets have some honesty! if you said yes to the last question then you will probably say no to the next. did you have full public liability insurance.:ohmy:

this is only my opinion and i don't care if it shocks but this is real life paying bills stuff!:sneaky2:

never done tree work without insurance, if my boss had homers he would say i could do them for him if we finished early and it would be an extra on the way home. If i got the chance of other work i would say to my boss and he would let me use his kit and insurance and i gave him a cut. but i didnt start myself until i was confident there was no tree i couldnt cut down.

i always wanted to work so my bosses loved it, i used to make them loads, but i probably cost them loads as well some days.:001_smile:

start as you mean to go on i say.:001_smile:

ian leach - yup your right i am a bit rusty at climbing but im not planning on doing it tomorrow or anything ill be doing a lot of extra climbing over the next few month so im prob looking at the summer before i start plus theres puttin up adverts and then the phone calls coming in plus ill be climbing at work as well as my weekend outings

Real life isn’t just about paying bills it’s about hanging on to what you have.

So how about you do an uninsured job and cause some damage. Let’s say a branch hits a car. You get unlucky and the damage runs into a grand or so. Your £300 quid job won’t cover it and you have to sell your, Motorbike, car kidney to get the rest together.

Or worse yet, someone gets injured then you are right up it and no paddle.

Insurance is something you should have and not need rather than need and not have.