Fire place mantle

shooterjim

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was proximity of flammable material to fire place, I would need to check with client

I was informed (by HETAS installer) that any verticle/horizontal wooden surround needed to be at least 18" from the stove.

Saying that, our mantle is fairly warm when the fires on, but I'm hoping that the Ecofan I've got ordered should move the heat away from the underside of the oak

With regards to the fire proofing material what do you recommend for this?

Cheers

Normally fireproof board on the inside edge only. If its very near then put an air gap between the board and the beam using spacers at each end. You cant put it underneath as it would look dreadful. Available from decent builders merchants.

In this case the wall that the beam is mounted on is sufficient IMHO, but the person signing it off as safe to use has the final word. The clearance underneath simply needs to be in excess of the stove manufactures recommendations in their installation manual. If there is no recommendation contact the stove seller or the manufacturer/importer themselves. From personal experience I would recommend going at least 25mm higher that the manufacturers minimum.

They are lovely brackets, the manufacturer of those needs naming, or pm me if not allowed.

A