Tips for Silky use

jaime bray

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont use them once they get dull, even to a scotsman the pain of paying for a new blade will be less than the pain of dragging a dull blade into flesh after pushing hard to make it cut, but keep the old blade for ivy on old stumps or walls.

Dont try and catch it when you drop it as you will always grab the sharp bit!

I think what happens over time most of the injuries happen from lack of concentration, everyone is so used to using a chainsaw and avoiding chainsaw rash they forget about the little things, and a silky is one of them, a mixture of all the above comments but words that sticks out the most is complacency, and just pure ignorance,

:biggrin:

Saying that been bitten several times so I'm no better, slings are good to cut and catch, sling the branch you would normally hold cut it replace saw in sheave then remove sling and throw.......simples, but not very efficient....:001_smile:

Well said that man!:congrats:

Never cut myself yet, never intend to do so!

You will - I've yet to meet anyone who has been in this game for a few years who hasn't at some point drawn blood with a Silky.

I've caught myself a couple of times, the worst was with a brand new blade that cut faster than I was expecting, as I was used to its then-dull predecessor.

Complacency has been the reason for all of my scrapes - poor work positioning usually brought on by the thought that it is 'only a Silky' - a spinning chain somehow focuses the mind a bit more... Holding the piece being cut is the primary reason in my case (quicker than slinging, too busy concentrating on profit).

We sub-contract to some of the bigger firms in our industry and pruning saw injuries are currently a major issue with the health and safety bods. The reactions and control measures vary quite drastically - one firm insists on users wearing kevlar/stainless steel reinforced 'Ripeur' gloves whilst cutting with a Silky (not massively practical IMO as they are useless for climbing in - constant changing of gloves in the tree is the order of the day). The biggest problem with this is that some operators subsequently shun Silkys and just use chainsaws, as the restrictions don't apply to their use...

Another firm have taken a more pragmatic approach, and are pushing the use of secateurs/loppers wherever possible.

In terms of gloves, my personal view is that it is wrong to insist that a particular type of glove is used in any situation. I'm not going to start on chainsaw gloves on the ground (that would be a major de-rail) - my thoughts are that anyone being paid to climb and prune/dismantle a tree should be competent to perform that task. One of the most important parts of that whole operation is the climber's hands - these are his/her interface with their ropes, tools, the tree etc. Some climbers wear gloves, others don't. As soon as you insist on a certain type of glove (that may perform one task very well ie silky protection) you massively limit the options available to the operator, compromising dexterity, grip, comfort, warmth etc. As a result you run the risk of introducing additional hazards, when in reality the majority of the time the original problem lies with the operator not doing his/her job properly. I feel that anyone cutting themselves with a Silky should actually have pay deducted as the injury must have come about as a result of them putting themselves in danger in the first place!!!

You will - I've yet to meet anyone who has been in this game for a few years who hasn't at some point drawn blood with a Silky.

I feel that anyone cutting themselves with a Silky should actually have pay deducted as the injury must have come about as a result of them putting themselves in danger in the first place!!!

TBH i find that quite insulting, how do you know i will! I make sure my hands are well out the way when cutting, a good work position is key. And it makes it sounds even worse with your last sentence!:sneaky2:

TBH i find that quite insulting, how do you know i will! I make sure my hands are well out the way when cutting, a good work position is key. And it makes it sounds even worse with your last sentence!:sneaky2:

Sorry Rob, it wasn't meant to be insulting. I hope you don't cut yourself.

Stay safe - you can't earn any money whilst your sat in A+E waiting for stitches because the insulation tape/kitchen roll/bandage/plaster combo won't keep your skin from stretching open across your knuckle!

As I said, every injury I know of has come about from complacency - don't be complacent and you won't get cut.

Sorry Rob, it wasn't meant to be insulting. I hope you don't cut yourself.

Stay safe - you can't earn any money whilst your sat in A+E waiting for stitches because the insulation tape/kitchen roll/bandage/plaster combo won't keep your skin from stretching open across your knuckle!

As I said, every injury I know of has come about from complacency - don't be complacent and you won't get cut.

:thumbup:

Yeh it was probably me being touchy as someone questioned my cut-free impeccable record:lol:

no harm no foul

:thumbup1:

I wouldn't thether it to yourself especially if its a bungee thether as if your at full reach and it flies back at you. Think we're the saw will end up once you have finished cutting i have smashed myself a few times once i have finished cutting and followed through( not in the brown trousers way) straight into ny other arm.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

if you need help or guidance on using a Silky or any type of handsaw then get out of treework.

Only cackhanded clowns continually cut or knick themselves with handsaws, seriously? is this thread a joke?

Part of the problem with treework today is that it's attracted a lot of idiots who should've never been encouraged to get into treework, idiots need constant guidance.

Jaime, if you want to improve safety in the industry ban idiots.

Define an idiot in relation to arboriculture?

If you asked the general public if they thought that someone roped into a tree with a piece of rope of 12mm diameter whilst using a chainsaw; sometimes in excess of 36'' long, then im sure a few people would say 'idiot'.

It had been mentioned by a awg volunteer that employs a lot of people, that he is having a good few injuries related to pruning saw use, and hears of many too. After reading the various threads on injuries I thought that if a few pointers could be drafted up as a guide to their use then it may be of benefit. Especially to new comers to the industry.

If as a boss you can hand somebody a 'how to guide' for a piece of equipment, especially if they havent used it before, then you are being prudent. If that guide has been produced by members of your industry on a chat forum and is a culmination of experiences and advice then it would be better than a 'one-mans' opinion guide, that many employers find themselves producing for staff.

I think that many silky accidents do happen through complacency, time pressures, poor positioning, ignorance, etc, so if the ignorance can be highlighted with guidance and the others are highlighted within, then many new people to the industry will 'possibly' benefit through any production of guidance notes.

Unfotunately, i believe there has been a change in the amount of common sense applied to many industries and situations, however if as an industry we just throw our arms up in the air and say 'buffoon', then things will never change and can only get worse.

I like to think i have good common sense, however the sub-concious can be a terrible thing, and it makes you do things without thinking it through. I have had a couple of nicks on silkys. Accidents do and will continue to happen. All we can do is mitigate the opportunities and occurances of them.

But, if we could ban idiots we would all be safer!!!!

P.S. I am left handed... But i consider myself more a buffoon than a clown thankyou!!! :lol: