What do you have for a yard floor?

Woodworks

We have started running a small firewood business and the currant yard has some hardcore were most driving is done but this is not very flat and hard to scrape mud off. Does endless piles of wood chip bind this together over time or just make more mud? I should add this is connected to a farm so mud coming in on wheels is unavoidable.

Options

1. Keep scraping the mud off the worst bits and carry on.

2. Get a decent flat hardcore base laid and tracked in.

3. Large expanse of concrete with associated costs.

4. ?

What do you guys have and what do you recommend?

Edited by Woodworks

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You need big stone 50-100mm first, then u can put down type 1 mot 20mm or road platings but if you don't put big stuff down first the small stuff just disapears into the mud. I did this to my yard and its great, I'm going to do it again when I can afford it as big stone can be expensive £16 tonne

You need big stone 50-100mm first, then u can put down type 1 mot 20mm or road platings but if you don't put big stuff down first the small stuff just disapears into the mud. I did this to my yard and its great, I'm going to do it again when I can afford it as big stone can be expensive £16 tonne

HI ALL hodge right with all the rain we have had mud/mud and more mud i no a chap he put down some 20mm and the rain wash it a way :laugh1::lol:jon :thumbup:

Tracked hardcore. Clippings will turn to mush soon and make it a whole lot worse. From experience.

Get some type one in and track it in with a large 360 excavator. It will crush down like concrete and will be a lot better.

Ok I only said type one as he said he already had hardcore down. Some place you don't want hardcore as if you are tipping chippings there you will want to scrape them up at some point and its easier to do this on mud than a nice hard standing.

You only need a heavy duty sub base if you are going to put a lot of weight on it, the cheapest way to stop your surface dressing disapearing into the mud is a roll of geotextile such as terram (other brands are available):thumbup:

You only need a heavy duty sub base if you are going to put a lot of weight on it, the cheapest way to stop your surface dressing disapearing into the mud is a roll of geotextile such as terram (other brands are available):thumbup:

Depends how big your area is, I have a large area that I scraped the mud off and then put down large stuff down as tractor,van,truck will be going on it, I would have needed a lot of geotextile. The way I have described works great for me so I was just advising from experience.

You cant beat proper concrete on working areas machines sit level and you can power sweep after wards. I worked out the other day a pad 6mx6m 150mm thick with materials and labour wont leave much change from £1000 so not cheap areas used for storage are ok with lesser materials.