need qualification to buy a top handle

TreePuncher

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As this is a very respectable and professional forum, with responsible members and moderators, the answer must surely be that you need your tickets.

Otherwise it could be seen as a bad example to newcomers, maybe?

:001_rolleyes: Hense the " :sneaky2: ".

But also it is perfectly acceptable to gain experience while under the supervision of a qualified person.

Also I have never had any formal training for the use of chainsaws or tree climbing, I "taught myself" on private land in a none commercial capacity, so H&S at work legislation did not apply.

I have subsequently taken and passed assessments in the relevant certificates.

So it is possible to gain experience before certification perfectly legally, this is not the normal route, but perfectly possible :001_smile:

Thanks for the info skyhuck. If kickback were to occur, presumably the saw would go flying towards the operator - sounds lethal. I've seen videos of trees being demolished with the top handle being used with both hands, so probably close enough to do some serious damage. As always, whatever H+S advise, individuals will do as they want.

Anyone had kickback with a top hanle?

you would be suprised how fast a saws inertia kicks in when you get kick back, but you can get just as bad kick back when you have two hands on the saw. I've had bad kick back before just because the nose of the bar touched a bit if ivy stem on the back of a limb... I put it down to experiece :001_rolleyes:

you would be suprised how fast a saws inertia kicks in when you get kick back, but you can get just as bad kick back when you have two hands on the saw. I've had bad kick back before just because the nose of the bar touched a bit if ivy stem on the back of a limb... I put it down to experiece :001_rolleyes:

Yeah, I've seen it demonstrated, quick and violent. I always make sure to the best of my abilities that I know where the upper quadrant is. Keep a bloody good grip front and aft, and check the inertia break each time I start up for the day.

To be honest I'm a big believer in thing called "personal disposability" which seems to be some what out of fashion, mores the pity.

Tickets really are not difficult to achieve (expensive yes, difficult no) they are more about arse covering and ability IMHO.

The most skilled cutters I've worked with had no tickets.

agreed Skyhuck - just common sense and logic. Unfortunately clever legal types have twisted the legal system to the extent that common sense and logic no longer come into play :confused1:

As for tickets - they are just bits of paper. In my line of work I find that those with the most tickets have the least experience as they have spent all their time in the classroom rather than doing the job.

I found this thread quite interesting and also nostalgic. Ive been doing this work now for just a few months short of 30 years..... and there have been many things that have happened in that time, but a couple of those that affected chainsaws, two strokes, and top handles.

What it is easy to forget is that not only had there been a huge number of accidents relating to the use of saws in trees, but the HSE were getting nervous as there was research showing that top handled where intrinsically more dangerous than rear,

Because of this there were moves afoot in government circles to ban the sale of top handled saws and their import into the UK.

If this had happened it is obvious that things now would be completely different, the bodies representing arb, and the manufactures got hold of the then DTI and literally with days to go before the vote to ban them a deal was struck.

The deal was all top handled saws in the uk sold should only be sold to people who had the NPTC cert, or students who signed a declaration, a reputable company where proof had been received that staff were compliant, no matter what all were supplied with a top handled saw safety leaflet (still got one some were LOL),, now that carried on for many years, and memories ares hort, government bodies change, and it seems the old, industry manufacturer and government deal has rather gon by the way side.

another one of those things.

As for experience vs tickets well lets say experience and training, one with out the other is tough and fraught with danger,

but dont forget training can be both formal and informal.

not sure if that helps at all but a little bit of context is always fun

kevin

aka Arbocop