How much do you earn as an employee

chrisgilltreesurgery

Hi guys,

Im not wanting to pry to much into your personal life but I need your help:

Recently I have found that getting someone to work for what I thought was a reasonable wage seems to very difficult these days.

I can get a hot-shot freelance climber for £150 a day but what I am looking for is a good all round worker to carry out day to day jobs ranging from all tree work to all hedge work.

We are based in the North East.

What I am saying is that I need a good lad who is competent but not an ace if you know what I mean.

What do you think is a reasonable rate of pay either per hour, per day or per week?

Thanks for your help

Chris

Hi guys,

Im not wanting to pry to much into your personal life but I need your help:

Recently I have found that getting someone to work for what I thought was a reasonable wage seems to very difficult these days.

I can get a hot-shot freelance climber for £150 a day but what I am looking for is a good all round worker to carry out day to day jobs ranging from all tree work to all hedge work.

We are based in the North East.

What I am saying is that I need a good lad who is competent but not an ace if you know what I mean.

What do you think is a reasonable rate of pay either per hour, per day or per week?

Thanks for your help

Chris

Just out of curiosity what would you say is reasonable mate?

All employers are up against the same problem these days, living is expensive.

Everyone who drags their arse out of bed every day to work will legitimately feel entitled to certain things, a night in the pub & a takeaway once a week, 2 weeks in the sun every year, the odd shopping trip, somewhere to live, a car and fuel... There's no way you can achieve this reasonable standard of living on £15k these days.

Taking the basics, in the last 10 years, most things have doubled.

In 2002 I paid £300 pcm for a big old rented house. A friend of mine pays double that now for a 2 bed cottage. Fuel was, what, 80p a litre? And now.. £1.40 ish is it...?

Booze. Gone up. Fags. Gone up. VAT... yep, gone up.

So if under £20k is deemed reasonable, I think therein lies your problem.

We pay our good subbies £150 a day, average trade £120, top guys are on £200 a day.

Basic dogs body labourers are on about £80 a day.

Those are obviously self employed rates in construction, but I think your average Joe, ESPECIALLY if they have a young family, is going to be needing to take home AT LEAST £350 a week to make it worth their while having a job and contributing to the system.

If they can't get that in return for their efforts, then sitting on their backside claiming benefits makes a far more sensible financial proposition.

Personally I've never claimed a penny in my life and don't intend to, but I can see the attraction when faced with the choice between putting oneself out every day to scrape by on the breadline while others do nothing and have a better standard of living, or joining those for whom we pay....

For the last 5 months i have been working on the books for the nhs, doing maintainance work. I only earn 14500 per year. Before taking on this work i was taking home 400 per week for 18 mths working on sites.

However, to earn my 400 pw, i was doing minimum 3hrs travel per day, using £80 - £100 pw fuel, using my own vehicle etc and being knackard all the time.

Now, i travel 15mins each way to work, then use company vehicle, use £20 per week fuel, really enjoy going to work, and really enjoy spending more time at home with the family and doing what i want.

So although i have less money in my wage packet ( and yes it is tight ), it is possible to live on a low wage. But if you take away the £100 fuel i was using, time spent traveling, wear and tear on vehicle etc, in real terms i am not that much less off than when i was taking home £400 per wk. Yes i wish i was earning more, but the reality is, not many employers are throwing money about in wages.

I am happy in my work and that means a lot to me.

It is not always about the money, but about the conditions.

Edited by harvey b davison
bad grammer !!!!

All employers are up against the same problem these days, living is expensive.

Everyone who drags their arse out of bed every day to work will legitimately feel entitled to certain things, a night in the pub & a takeaway once a week, 2 weeks in the sun every year, the odd shopping trip, somewhere to live, a car and fuel... There's no way you can achieve this reasonable standard of living on £15k these days.

Taking the basics, in the last 10 years, most things have doubled.

In 2002 I paid £300 pcm for a big old rented house. A friend of mine pays double that now for a 2 bed cottage. Fuel was, what, 80p a litre? And now.. £1.40 ish is it...?

Booze. Gone up. Fags. Gone up. VAT... yep, gone up.

So if under £20k is deemed reasonable, I think therein lies your problem.

We pay our good subbies £150 a day, average trade £120, top guys are on £200 a day.

Basic dogs body labourers are on about £80 a day.

Those are obviously self employed rates in construction, but I think your average Joe, ESPECIALLY if they have a young family, is going to be needing to take home AT LEAST £350 a week to make it worth their while having a job and contributing to the system.

If they can't get that in return for their efforts, then sitting on their backside claiming benefits makes a far more sensible financial proposition.

Personally I've never claimed a penny in my life and don't intend to, but I can see the attraction when faced with the choice between putting oneself out every day to scrape by on the breadline while others do nothing and have a better standard of living, or joining those for whom we pay....

I think taking home between £300 and £350 is about right for Joe. But you never can second guess why people work or what motivates them.